1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sound not sounding too good!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darci Hellauer, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Darci Hellauer

Darci Hellauer Auditioning

I have just recently purchased a suround sound system (speakers and receiver)and the sound just isn't that great. I'm not getting much bass. I have my subwoofer connected directly to the receiver and speakers set as "small". All I seem to hear is the subwoofer bass and no other? Is that right? Should I not have my receiver turned to surround when playing music? One other thing is I did not use the digital cabling to connect the dvd and cd player. Would that have something to do with it? I did use the S video connections, though. As you can see I'm BRAND NEW to this Home Theater "stuff".
    Thanks,
    Darci

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Welcome! [​IMG]
    I would recommend using the digital connection to pass the signal to the receiver. It is the simplest hook up and will pass the highest quality signal. By using the digital hook up, you also allow the receiver to do all the decoding which should give you sound no matter what format the recording is.
    Try switching "modes" to see if you get sound, i.e; look for a 2ch stereo mode.
    Since you are getting sound from the sub, I'd say you are somewhat hooked up already, though if the signal for the rest of the speakers is not hooked up (digital or analog), then you will not get any other sound.
    If this is from a DVD player, you typically have to configure the DVD to send the digital signal, or you will also not get any sound, though I would expect that is not the problem since your sub is working.
    S-video will not pass any sound.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

3. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

Please give us a description of the equipment you have (manufacturer, model#) so we can give you better descriptions on how to connect and set things up.
    ------------------
    You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
    My DVD Profiler Collection

4. Darci Hellauer

Thanks guys...for replying!
    I bought a Technics SA-DX1040 receiver and KLH Mode 9S surround sound system.
    I get sound, but just doesn't sound the greatest. Been playing around with it ALOT and is getting better, but...

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Well, it also depends on what you're comparing it to. KLH makes pretty decent speakers, but if you're comparing them to something you've heard that's in a different price/performance league altogether, then maybe you're shooting for something impossible. On the other hand, if the exact same speakers running on the same/similar equipment sounded better in the store, then you've got some more fiddling and setup to do.

6. Darci Hellauer

Saurav...
    So true...just seems when I listen to a CD and put it on surround, it just doesn't sound too great. Maybe I shouldn't use surround. I came from using a 20 year old receiver and same age speakers....think this should sound better than that.

7. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Darci,
    When you say "put it in surround", what do you you mean by this? What surround mode are you using on the receiver?

8. Darci Hellauer

donovan...thanks for the reply
    My receiver has three modes
    1) Stereo
    2) Surround (dolby digital, dolby surround, digital surround and pro logic for playing analog sources)
    3) SFC (Hall, club, live, theater, sim surround)
    Does this help?

9. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Darci,
    Could you please tell us if you have hooked a DVD player to your system and is it via a Digital or Analog coonection. Also, have you selected the proper Audio output on your DVD setup menu?
    What about CDs? How good/bad do they sound? Do you have any subwoofer? Does the Technics have speaker settings and how did you setup the receiver?
    Let us know and we maybe able to get this going.

10. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Sorry Darci, seems like you have made the speaker selection and are running a subwoofer, my bad. But, if you give us further details that would help a lot.

11. Darci Hellauer

Nick...
    The DVD seems to sound pretty good except for the voices (hooked it up analog, but has digital connection). The CD's and tuner are what I'm wondering about. As I stated in original message...the speakers are seet at Small and I have the subwoofer at "yes" on the receiver.
    thanks,

12. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Could you give us more details on your old speakers, as well as your new ones? Size, specifications, anything else? Just because your previous speakers are 20 years old doesn't mean that new speakers will necessarily be better. Also, I personally prefer listening to CD's in stereo. I don't have a surround sound system, and whenever I've heard CD's playing in surround at dealerships, they've always sounded pretty sad to me.
    Edit: Also, what is it about the sound that you don't like? Can you describe it, compare it to the sound of your older speakers, and tell us what the differences are that you do not like?
    [Edited last by Saurav on August 14, 2001 at 05:19 PM]

13. Darci Hellauer

Saurav...
    LOL...they were JC Penney speakers!

14. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

What cnter channel speaker are you using? Sometimes you have to boost the center channel up by a few notches to balance it out with your mains. Seems like you did set the speakers correctly. Also check the speaker polarity, Positives and negatives should match speaker and receiver ends respectively.
    Also, connect your DVD player vis it's "Optical" or "Coax" out to your Receiver. On your DVD setup menu, set the Audio out for Bitstream and DTS to either "Yes' or "On". See if this makes any difference.

15. Darci Hellauer

Saurav...
    Oops...I didn't respond to your other question.
    They seem to sound "tinny" not "deep". Like they are in a hollow corridor and missing bass. If I turn the subwoofer up, then it sounds fake.
    I do agree with you regarding the surround sound with cd's. It does sound better in "stereo".

16. Darci Hellauer

Thanks Nick,
    I'm not quite sure of your question on the center channel speaker, though. I turned the center speaker down to -5 because it seemed too loud compared to the others. Is this what you mean? Should it be louder?
    I will try the other things you mentioned!
    Looks like I need to buy some "optical" cables.
    Thanks again,
    Darci

17. Darci Hellauer

Thanks Sean!
    That's what I was thinking as far as putting the CD's in "stereo" mode...just needed reassurance.
    Do you feel I should also use the digital connection for the CD player? I will definately use it for the DVD player!
    Thanks again!

18. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

19. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Darci,
    What kind of interconnects are you using to connect the analog connections? Usually, these interconnects will affect your sound more if you are using the ones provided with the set but if you use either the digital coax or optical connections to your receiver, they are a little more forgiving.
    I would definitely check the phase of the speaker wires. Making sure that the red wires go to the red terminals and the blacks wire to the black.

20. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think the problem may simply be the "small" setting. Try it with different speakers (at least the mains) set to "large" to see how it sounds.
    You may also need to adjust the crossover frequency for the sub, as there may be a gap in the frequencies covered by the sub vs. the other speakers. If this is the case, you will hear only the higher and lower frequencies, and be missing the mid-bass sound, which could cause the condition you describe. This is highly probable with the main speakers set to small, if they are smaller speakers that do not produce much bass/mid-bass.
    With your mains set to small, you should turn the frequency cuttoff on the sub all the way up, as the receiver is doing the x-over for you.
    With them set to large, you will have to adjust this x-over between the sub and mains yourself, however, if your main speakers can handle bass below your receiver's cutoff, then it is to your advantage to set them to large.
    Good luck. [​IMG]