Sound Level Meter Calibration question.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris VW, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Chris VW

Chris VW Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I purchased a digital meter from Radio Shack. I understand what settings to put it on and it works fine with the test tones put out from my Denon 3805. At what volume should I have the 3805 and what do I do with the numbers I get? I set the meter at 80 so do I adjust all of the speakers to 75 or 80 dbs or what? I'm unclear on that part. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  3. Chris VW

Chris VW Stunt Coordinator

John,

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at that info and it answered all of my questions. When the 3805 was set up it was calibrated with the autocal mic. The fronts are all registering 73dbs, the subwoofer is 74, and the rears are 71 nand 72 dbs. is this Ok or will bringing them all to 75 make an improvement?

Chris

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I have a Denon 3801 and mine defaults to "00" volume level when you enter the calibration mode. This means your reference level master volume is automatically set to "00" if you calibrate to the proper tone volume. I doubt it has changed on the 3805. Denon test tones are 30dB below reference, so you calibrate to 75dB for a reference level at "00" mster volume.