Sound level issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Herrod, Oct 16, 2002.

1. James Herrod

James Herrod Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,
    It seems that gradually (not sure how gradually)I've had to increase my system volume to achieve the same sound levels. In other words, I'm now setting my Denon receiver volume about 10 dbs higher to get to roughly the same listening level that I was at, say, a couple of months ago. (just recently had my hearing checked, by the way, and we're okay there). Anyway, I'm just wondering what kind of things might be causing these kind of symptoms. Not sure if it is a speaker or receiver issue. I'm running B&W 600 series speakers with a Denon AVR 1602 receiver with bare wire Monster XP speaker connections. Thanks. Jim

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello James,

First things first...are you using a sound meter to reference this and/or to verify?

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, you might not be losing your hearing, but you are becoming accustomed to music at that loud volume. I do notice that my receiver sometimes sounds loud when I first turn it on. I wonder if thats because the caps and amplifier are dead cold and heat up as time goes on, limiting their power output, or because after a few minutes I get used to it. The difference doesn't seem like much anyways.

4. James Herrod

James Herrod Stunt Coordinator

Well, I do notice that I have to increase the master volume approx 7-8 dbs higher than before to register a 70db reading from my listening position using a SPL meter. Could this be a symptom of my frying something in my receiver because I once had my + and - speaker wires touching on my right front speaker? It's since been corrected, but I don't know if this could cause something like that to occur. I won't beat this do death, but I'm just a little perplexed. Thanks again. Jim

5. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Something is wrong if you had to increase 7-8 db's higher. Check everything.

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

James,

Check your channel levels and see if they are different than either your records or memory indicate. Also, re-check the speaker wiring for proper polarity. If after checking out such basic issues you find nothing amiss I would certainly consider having the receiver serviced, if only for the piece of mind.