Sound level differences.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Nov 20, 2002.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I'm not sure if this si the right place to post this, but i have noticed that depending on the component hooked up to my receiver the sound level is very different. the main area i notice this with is my cd player. i can listen to a cd through my PS2 and a comfortable listening level is a volume of 10 or so, however through my cd player a comfortable listening elvel is 4 or 5. this is mainly a problem because when i want to have the volume lower i cant because the bottom of the scale is still a bit too loud whereas with my other components i could have the volume higher than witht he cd player but still have a lower sound elvel.

does anyone know what could be causing this? have i explained it adequately?

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The different components probably have different output levels. You can verify that by looking at the specs in the owners manuals under output level or output impedance(rated in mV and k ohms respectively).

DJ

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

if there any way to compensate for this?

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Only if you pre/pro or receiver has input trim adjustments, or the device in question has output trim adjustments.

It just depends on the devices you are using. In my case, my Marantz SR-96 does not, but I know that a friend's Denon receiver does.

BL