Sound Level Differences

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelvin F, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Kelvin F

Kelvin F Auditioning

Hey Guys,

I watch mostly action and sci-fi movies on my home theater system.I`ve noticed in a lot of cases a big difference in sound levels between diffent movies. For example,if i put in x-men i have to turn the volume up to 3 ,if i put in gladiator with the volume on 3 my windows would shatter. Is this normal? If so why isn`t there a industry standard for audio levels in action and sci-fi movies? This may sound like a stupid question, but i just had this running through my mind. Any input would be greatly appreciated, THANKS!!

2. YANG

YANG Second Unit

"For example,if i put in x-men i have to turn the volume up to 3 ,if i put in gladiator with the volume on 3 my windows would shatter. Is this normal?"

Welcome to the forum.KELVIN.

X-MEN is a DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 only release,GLADIATOR comes with a DTS 5.1 track.When you compare the two,you should see if you are comparing the same format tracks...both DD5.1 of the two movies.

Regular DTS DVD releases,are several level higher in volume than regular DD5.1 track.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

There are numerous technical reasons why one disc might sound louder than another at the same volume setting. But even if you eliminated all technical factors, some films will still play louder because that's how the filmmakers chose to present them. Some films are darker than others; some are louder than others. Why should there be any "standard"?

(N.B. I'm not talking about the calibration of playback equipment to "reference level", which is a different story.)

M.

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Actually, you could also say the Dolby Digital versions many times are softer than the DTS version. DTS encoding does not used dialog normalization or peak limiting.

Dan

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep, and if Dialog Norm was use properly by the person encoding the disc, Kelvin's problem would bever happen...

-Vince

6. Kelvin F

Kelvin F Auditioning

Thanks Guys you all have been very helpful. I didn`t realize that DD tracks used compression. I guess one learns something new every day.

7. Michael Reuben

8. Kelvin F

Kelvin F Auditioning

Thanks for your input Mr.Reuben. The dialog sounds pretty close between these two movies but the action sequences in x-men seemed to lack presence "in your face" compared to gladiator which rocked me off my seat.

9. Michael Reuben

Dialnorm doesn't affect the level of dialogue; it affects the overall level of the soundtrack relative to dialogue.