What's new

Sound issues with HDMI ARC (1 Viewer)

Noahtas

Auditioning
Real Name
Noam
I've just hooked up my Denon x 1000 via Hdmi out to a vizio Hdmi arc input. Blu-ray connected directly to receiver plays just fine. When watching TV I get no sound through receiver and speakers. Tried switching cables, defining TV speakers as OFF. Nothing. Do I need a separate Hdmi from Tv to receiver. This Denon is supposed to bypass all these extra cables, and the bluray works great. Thanks for any input :)

Noahtas

Auditioning
Real Name
Noam
Thanks Phil Did all if the above except couldn't find how to make the x1000 Discoverable. So my Vizio isn't recognizing it. Any help?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I doubt Denon bothers having its CEC work with Vizio.Onkyo's only works with Samsung and Panasonic.I couldn't care less about CEC (and CEC has to work for ARC to function), but willing to bet Denon tells you what TVs work with CEC in the manual.

Noahtas

Auditioning
Real Name
Noam
What's a toslink ?And why wouldn't HDMI be best? It is the best connection in terms of quality.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Toslink is Toshiba Link*. Created in 1984.Digital Coax is the same cable as composite video(as in yellow, circa 1965), shielded subwoofer(circa 1977).*Toslink is the exact same thing(sorta) as S/PDIF...or Sony/Philips Digital InterFace.Your TV provides PCM and DD. Both of which have existed 20 years before HDMI was created.(Your Vizio has, or should have, a Toslink** marked "optical" or it has an orange RCA marked "coax", although it could be bluish green. We have no clue as all you've said is Vizio. A model number would help)**Or yours has a mini-Toslink(miniature Toshiba Link) That doubles as a headphone jack. Just like the mini-Toslink that have existed on portable CD players and computers since 1990.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Noahtas said:
Thanks PhilDid all if the above except couldn't find how to make the x1000 Discoverable. So my Vizio isn't recognizing it.Any help?
I actually have an x1000 in a guest bedroom and just use the toslink connection (from an Insigna TV) if TV sound is desired.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Noahtas said:
And why wouldn't HDMI be best? It is the best connection in terms of quality.
HDMI supports the highest possible quality audio and video signals, however, just because you're using an HDMI cable doesn't affect the type of signal that is carried through it.

When it comes to audio signals, your TV only outputs analog stereo, PCM or (possibly) lossy Dolby Digital. Those same signals can be carried via optical/toslink and coaxial equally as well as they are carried via HDMI. Only the lossless audio formats (Dolby HD and DTS-MA) found on Blu-ray require an HDMI cable to be transmitted.

I agree with the other posters. ARC in its current implementation is too much of a hassle to try and deal with. Get a $3 toslink cable and be done with it.

Noahtas

Auditioning
Real Name
Noam
Will do. Thanks:)Hdmi cables are $3 too btw. All are good. There is no port on the receiver assugned to TV though. But there is an input called TV audio. Where to connect then?Do I need to assign it manually?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to be certain, you are using an antenna for TV, not a cable or satellite box? If it is a box, then you connect the audio from the box to the receiver. You only use an audio cable from the TV to receiver if you are using the TV's internal tuner with over-the-air broadcasts using an antenna.

Sorry, I should add, I am presuming if you are on cable it is a system that requires a box. The days of hooking a cable feed directly to the TV seem to be over, but there may be exceptions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes there are locations with HD cable over coax into the TV'S tuner.Local channels only...with the occasional espn/DIY channel.My uncles basic cable is 30 channels, 14 in HD(locals even include sub channels).He could get a box the size of a Roku with HDMI for $7/month to make all 30 HD.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's helpful info. Does your Blu-Ray player play Netflix and Youtube? If so, then you could always just use it instead of the TV. Of course, you did pay for the smart tv, so you probably want to use its features. There is no audio those sources can supply that can't be sent through an optical or coaxial digital cable from the TV to the receiver, so as has already been suggested, just use a second cable for audio from the TV to the receiver. You won't be losing anything at all, except the headache of trying to get ARC to work. The only source that requires hdmi for audio is the HD audio tracks on Blu-Ray discs.

Noahtas

Auditioning
Real Name
Noam
Great. thanks for all your help guys. I'll update on my results. As they are the same price I'll probably just get an HDMI cable. They're everywhere :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Noahtas said:
Great.
thanks for all your help guys.
I'll update on my results. As they are the same price I'll probably just get an HDMI cable. They're everywhere :)
Excellent idea, except that won't work. You could connect an hdmi cable from every available port on the TV and you still won't get audio back to the receiver. The digital audio output on the TV (optical or coaxial) is the only digital audio output the TV has.

Connections aren't bidirectional. The only attempt at that is ARC, and you see how well that works. Outputs go to inputs. The only digital audio output on the TV is not hdmi.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, Sam. At least he got us to agree on something. That's a first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks