What's new

Sound format terminology (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Hi -- I'm working on my own database of DVDs and I'm trying to define acceptable values for the Sound Format field.
so far, I have the following:
DD 5.1
DD 5.0
DD 2.0
Mono
DTS
My questions are these:
1. Are there multiple kinds of DTS or is it just plain DTS?
2. I have discs that simply state "Dobly Surround" (like Blue Velvet). Is that the same as saying DD 2.0?
3. Any other formats that I obviously missed?
Thanks.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Well, Dolby Digital comes in all sorts of combinations. In addition to those listed, I've heard of 4.0, 4.1 and 1.0 I'm sure any combination of channels with or without the LFE track is available.
Mono may not be the right term for you, depending on how detailed you want to be. You could have Dolby Digital 1.0 mono, or you could have Dolby Digital 2.0 which is mono on both tracks, or you could have PCM mono.
And then of course, some DVDs have uncompressed PCM stereo tracks.
I'll have to let someone else weigh in on the DTS part.
I think 2.0 is the same as "Dolby Surround."
Dolby Surround refers to surround information matrixed into 2 channels of audio, but 2.0 does not always mean "Dolby Surround." Some stereo audio tracks are not meant to be decoded by Dolby Pro-Logic (and sound awful when it's done).
= Derek =
[Edited last by Derek Miner on August 29, 2001 at 02:39 PM]

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
OK, thanks.
Let me rephrase the question. If you were entering your collection into a database, would you want to have a giant list of choices or would you just record something as MONO or the other 5 choices? I suppose I could put an Other field in there but that complicates searching and sorting.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I'd suggest a couple more. If I enter a DVD as "MONO", I usually think of it as having a PCM mono track (vs "DD 1.0" or "DD 2.0 Mono")
--Anders
------------------
http://www.dvd1138.com/
Ob me Deus cavet
Link Removed

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
I'd use three fields: one for audio format, one for main channels, one for LFE. Possible values are:
Audio Format:
PCM
DTS
Dolby Digital
Channels:
1 (mono)
2 (mono)
2 (stereo)
2 (surround)
6 (EX)(Dolby Digital only)
6 (ES)(DTS only)
6 (ES discrete)(DTS only)
LFE:
Yes
No
:)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If Dolby Surround _doesn't_ provide true "surround" sound, but Dolby 5.1 does, they should drop the name. It is too confusing.
[Edited last by Will_B on August 29, 2001 at 05:37 PM]

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Isn't there a Dolby Digital 1.1?
And, doesn't Battlestar Galactica use it to simulate the old Sensurround effect?
Mono with a boom channel for extra rumble. It could find a place in Matt's "sound table".
Joel

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
If Dolby Surround _doesn't_ provide true "surround" sound, but Dolby 5.1 does, they should drop the name. It is too confusing.
But "Dolby Surround" predates any digital formats. You want to be really confused, remember that Dolby Stereo used to refer to matrixed surround sound before home video. Dolby Surround is a home-only term that started appearing on tapes and discs in the mid to late 80s. You actually do get "surround" info from Dolby Surround programs, it's just not discrete.
If your're thinking of my earlier comments referring to non-surround info in stereo programs, I was referring to Dolby Digital 2.0 with audio that was never encoded for Dolby Surround.
Still confused? I think I am too...
= Derek =

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
No, I am less confused. Thank you.
Slightly off topic, I sort of wish menus would switch into whatever sound format the user selected from the menu, rather then remaining in...in whatever they are.
I say this because whenever a disc starts I squint at my receiver to see if it succesfully changes from the lame prologic default to 5.1...so it would be nice to get this confirmation before the film began.
I understand it would be yet another burden on the menu designers, but, it would be a nice frill, if any menu designers are reading this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks