What's new

sound fields ??? (1 Viewer)

Hi

I posted this in the speakers section but thought it may be better off in this section too. (newbies !!!)

If you run a secondary set of front L&R and Surround speakers (dipolar) at a lower level than the primary (direct) speaker will it improve the sound stage or will it muddy the whole thing.

Any advice will be useful as it sounds like a good option (dependant on placement of speakers) and before i invest i would some ideas.

Thanks

Wayne

I thought that by running 2 complete speaker systems as described above the sound stage may be improved as long as they arent cancelling each other out all over the place.

I take it you think its a bad idea ??

Cheers
Michael

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Michael,

I don’t think it’s a bad ideal sonically – just practically. Cancellation is not an issue, but most receivers will not like driving all those extra speakers. That means adding extra amps, so now you have some serious money invested.

Of course, if you have a large room and seating area – so large that it requires extra speakers to give even coverage to all seats - that’s another issue. But if you aren’t happy with the soundstage your present speakers deliver, it makes more sense to change them than add more of them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

I understand what you are saying but the reason i was asking is i have a few amps floating around and 1 set of old dipole speakers and just thought i may get some extra use out of them. And if investing in another set is going to add to the system i thought it may be a cheaper option than upgrading speakers (again)

My system at present is

Pioneer vsx d859tx
accusound speakers (Australian brand) thinking of going to Krix
with a NEC Lt 140 projector

So sound wise its pretty good but any advance is always good

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks