What's new

sound field resets and cable and sound cuts out for a few seconds (1 Viewer)

knightrdrx

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
When I'm watching tv sometimes the cable reception flickers off and the cable box blue light shuts off, then it comes back w/ the sound field shown again scrolling
the cable box is hooked into the receiver by hdmi and then the hdmi goes back into the bravia tv. ialso have an optical cable for audio from the tv to the receiver. anyone know what is happening here?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
When I'm watching tv sometimes the cable reception flickers off and the cable box blue light shuts off, then it comes back w/ the sound field shown again scrolling

Paul- What is the blue light on the cable box? Does it have a name or label? Are any other lights on the cable box blinking or turning on/off when this happens? When you say the sound field starts scrolling are you referring to the front panel display of your receiver?

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Blue lights are usually used to indicate "HDMI is working". I dunno if that's the case here.

HDMI is very picky. Poor or too-long HDMI cables can cause intermittent loss of sync, as can poor CATV service. In other words, you should both talk to your cable TV company about the problem and investigate getting higher-quality HDMI cables that are only as long as necessary -- preferably less than 3 meters. Long HDMI cables (25 ft or more) may need an HDMI extender box depending on circumstances. As a work-around you could connect the cable box to the TV or receiver using composite video and to the receiver using digital audio.

A digital audio cable from a TV to a receiver can be used to forward audio from other TV inputs and from the TV's internal over-the-air broadcast tuner. If you aren't using either of those, that connection isn't necessary.

knightrdrx

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
the blue light is a multi channel decoding lamp. lights up when multi channel audio signals are decoded
sometimes certain channels whether live or dvr'd shut this on and off and when it does the whole sound goes out as well as the cable cause the signal goes into the cable box
its as if the cable box resets...
the extra audio cable is there cause the manual says so as does many others...and
the hdmi cables are brand new..rosewil from new egg...(terrible cause the plug is so wide can't put 2 side by side)
plus one other 4 year old cable that is really thick..from bluejeans cables...i took it out now cause its so heavy that it sinksdown when it is plugged in.
if i also use composite, will hdmi take priority?

it could be a cable company problem..not sure... or its an hdmi cable problem.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Paul,

The design for HDMI connectors is not the best. You certainly should check to make sure they're all still securely seated. Heavy or stiff cables may require external strain-relief of some kind to make sure they don't come slightly unplugged.

Which type of video signal has priority is determined by how you have configured the settings in the receiver for each class of input. Different manufacturers provide different ways to do it.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by knightrdrx
ialso have an optical cable for audio from the tv to the receiver.
I asked why earlier because if your receiver is an HDMI "pass thru" receiver (requires extra cable for audio), The optical cable needs to come from the cable box to the receiver. Not from the tv to the receiver.

The optical output on tvs is for getting 5.1 surround from local HD channels, via the tv's internal tuner, when using an antenna. It's not for a daisy chain connection like you're doing. There is one or two models that will pass 5.1 surround that way, but I don't remember the model numbers. 99% of tvs that pass audio that way at all, will downmix the 5.1 signal to 2.0, and pass it to the receiver that way. Then the best you can hope for is Dolby Pro Logic (simulated surround).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks