What's new

Sound dropping out occasionally watching SW:Ep1.. Help? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Okay, so im watching Star Wars Episode 1, the sound was real good, though my sub isnt really good, so I couldn't feel the 'amazing' sound in the THX intro and stuff, but it was still very good...
Well, about a Dozen times throughout the movie, the audio seems to skip out about half a second to a second, sometimes at quiet scenes, sometimes at scene changes (not the layer change, it happened like twice or 3 times near the beginning-middle when they're at the place where Anakin used to live)...
DO you think i had it cranked up too high? There weren't no signes of distortion at all...
Is it my copy of SW? FWIW, it did happen a couple times int he DTS intro of SPR... at a low/medium volume
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Nick,
In my experience, audio dropouts are usually hardware related, and nothing to do with the dvd's. Try switching around your optical or coaxial connection and see if this changes anything....
What reciever are you using??
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

TylerN

Stunt Coordinator
Try a different power outlet...
I had the same problem with my old Kenwood DV403, it only happened every now and then and i couldn't figure it out, i just figured it was a crappy dvd player. I recently purchased a new Kenwood 4070 dvd player ($1000 cdn) and played episode 1. It had the same problem, even worse, it would drop the sound for a while, and at times the screen would get digital garbage on it.
I plugged the DVD player into a different power outlet and the problem went away. Turns out it was dirty voltage. I'm getting a Monster Power center as a permenant fix.
[Edited last by TylerN on November 03, 2001 at 07:05 PM]

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a Denon 3802 and its paired with a panasonic rp-91....the denon is replacing a onkyo 656. with the onkyo i cant remember ever experiencing any audio drop outs, however, last night i had my first while watching "the gift". I have been suspious of my power cleanliness,however the drops occured in the same spots after taking out the disc and putting it back in (leads me to believe its either hardware or softwar related). I have not really watched a movie all the way through on the new reciever. I'm hoping it is not the reciever (i love it, any i bought it through a e-store/hard to return). Any ideas?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have come across threads in the past about Toshiba players being the cause of audio drop outs. I came across one recently over at HTT.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Ah yes, audio dropouts!
It has been my experience in the past that this is indeed hardware related, but usually not the cables (coaxial or optical). I have seen this phenomenon when certain equipment matches have been done, particularly older Toshiba DVD players mated with some Sony receivers.
Interestingly enough, if the same receiver was used with another brand of DVD player, the dropouts would not occur. Similarly, if the same DVD player was used with another brand of receiver, again, the dropouts would not occur.
What equipment do you have? (DVD player, receiver, digital audio cable). Post the model numbers too. It is possible that if you upgraded the code on your Toshiba DVD player that the problem could be resolved.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's
[Edited last by Neil Joseph on November 07, 2001 at 10:38 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks