Sound drop-off during dvd play...Why???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MWestyn, Dec 31, 2002.

1. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

I have a new Marantz SR7300, DVD player is a Toshiba a few years old.
    The dvd player has only analog and digital coax outs (Toshiba...funny they trademarked "toslink" and didn't put one on here). While I'm waiting for my new dig coax interconnect to arrive, I substituted an old composite cable. I was skeptical but the receiver picked up the digital signal and after watching DTS demo disc #4 with no flaws, I figured it would suffice.
    It was strange though, the sound did not cut on intense scenes; ex. Austin Powers-Goldmember, when Beyonce is singing in the 70's club near the start of the movie, it cut out 3 times! It did it once later on too. I'm just wondering what this could be attributed to.[​IMG]
    Here's my receiver settings; DVD input set to Dig.4-AT (automatic pick-up), "Auto" surround picked up Dolby D 5.1, EQ off, my composite cables are still hooked up as well (but as I stated it picked up the digital flags).
    My DVD player has 3 settings, analog, bitstream, and pcm. The receiver said "PCM" on the front but when I selected pcm on the dvd player's menu I got no signal. Set it to "bitstream" and that seamed to work. Set it to "analog" and could hear no difference. Set it back to "bitstream" for good measure and watched the movie like this.
    Any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

Just read another thread about Goldmember and other infinifilm movies causing problems...maybe this is the cause?

3. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Your DVD settings on 'bitstream'is correct as it is this
    source that will be pick up by the Receiver's codec chip
    to identify whether its DD 5.1 or DTS.

On the other hand trying using a digital cable rather than
    composite cable as your input signal.

Hopes this helps.

4. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Toshiba players are notorious for audio drops outs. There doesn't seem to be an exact formula for when it happens. It seems to be a receiver-player interaction problem. The problem seems to happen less often with the newer models, but still does happen.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

When people have used 50 ohm audio cables for the coaxial digital connections, the occasional reflection in the cable causes drop outs. Some times 1-2 per minute, other cases only 1-2 per hour.

While you only need a good VIDEO cable, your old cable may have a loose connector or something wrong that causes an occasional reflection.

Try another video cable or just wait for your other cable to arrive.