Sound Discrepancy between Channels

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DonLuke, Jan 16, 2006.

1. DonLuke

DonLuke Auditioning

Jan 14, 2006
    I just installed an new home theater system, and the sound system is an ONKYO 7.1 surround system, with matched Onkyo speakers. When we watch/listen to programming over our satellite system, we have relatively balanced sound on all channels. However, when wew watch OTA HD programming, we get all kinds of variation between the programming, commercials and variation between channels. Is there something I can do the help balance out this problem? It's not just a minor issue, its jarring; you have to sit there with the remote and adjust the volume so that commercials/programming don't roust folks in the other end of the house.

Thanks in Advance
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    No easy way to deal with it. Check to make sure your sat box does not have compression on which hurts the sound quite a bit, but helps with the desparate volumes that occure bewteen programs, commercials, and channels.

You OTA Tuner may have a similar feature. Sometimes called night mode.

No real good way to deal with it, best advice is to make sure all compression is turned off and keep the volume control handy. [​IMG]

Even though somewhat annoying this is somewhat a testimate to the great dynamics the Onkyo system is exhibiting, can be seen as a positive in other words.
  3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Aug 22, 2000
    The variation is normal and there's nothing you can do about it. If you are watching an HD program, you are probably getting Dolby Digital sound with it. The normal levels for DD are pretty low and your local station is just passing through what they get from the network. They don't get commercials from the network so they splice in the SD feed. Those analog sound levels are usually high. Commercials are recorded at an even higher level to get your attention. The only remedy I've found is an HD DVR. I fast forward through all the commercials when watching my HD DirecTivo.