Sound deadening my ceiling.....?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Gun, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Billy Gun

Billy Gun Stunt Coordinator

I'm constructing my theater in the basement of our new home......

How should I construct the ceiling for MAXIMUM sound isolation from my upstairs?

And, what are the best materials

(Good cost - performance ratio)

to use in the ceiling?

Please advise......

2. ScottFauque

ScottFauque Agent

Unless you are talking about making a floating ceiling in your HT, then it is often said that using 6" insulation batting and "good" ceiling tiles will do the most good. Good can be determined by NRC and STC values.

I just picked up some SelectSound theater insulation (like TS+) for my lower walls and was talking to this commercial insulation company inside rep about all this. It jived with other things I have heard on the boards.

Hope that gives you a good starting point.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

4. Billy Gun

Where do you guys buy these materials?

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I bought the gutter tape at Home Depot but, I would think any sort of rubbery stuff would do the trick. I haven't shopped around, but I've seen the fiberglass tiles there as well. And fiberglass insulation is available at any hardware store.

Another thing to consider is your ductwork. I have a large vent running down the center of my HT space. I know I have seen insulation that you can wrap around ducts I'm hoping that will do the trick. Does anyone else have ideas for ductwork soundproofing?

6. Billy Gun

Whoa! I forgot about the air ducts! If I run forced hot air ducts into my theater room do I need a cold air return also?

And yes, How would I soundproof those also?

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

8. Billy Gun

Maybe I should just use electric baseboard so I can completely seal the room...

Your thoughts.....?

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Electric baseboard would solve those issues.

10. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The heating ducts aren't really going to pose a problem with sound escaping to the other parts of your house. The biggest things you need worry about is isolating the construction from the upstairs floor and walls....but nothing you can do will completely soundproof your room. If you have a capable sub, that's going to be heard all through the house if you run at reference.
    Back to the ductwork, if you can use flex duct, that'll be the best thing. Using aluminum ductwork would make any sound that does get into the pipes have some crazy echos. But if you can run direct runs to and from the furnace, you won't have to worry about that part of it.

11. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Auditioning

Baseboard heaters will solve the heating issue, but you still need air circulation within the room or the air will get stale while watching a movie. I'm planning to use baseboard heaters and a self-contained duct system. It will be a single length of flexible duct with the ends at the front and back of the room. In the middle of the duct will be a quiet fan to draw air in one end and blow it out the other. The duct will not be connected to the HVAC system so sound will neither enter nor escape the room through that.

12. Billy Gun

OK Guys....thanks for the tips.[​IMG]