What's new

Sound dampening (1 Viewer)

Mike Peter

Auditioning
I am building a theater room, and had a question keeping the sound from going into the surrounding rooms. Does any body have any suggestions? I was wondering if half inch cork subfloor material would work? It is fairly inexpesive ($1.40 sq/ft.) and comes in 2x3 foot sheets. Any input would be helpful.
Thanks,
Mike Peter

Jason Ole

Grip
Mike,

I am also in the process of building a theater room. Ideas that were relayed to me were:

Building a room within a room
Applying sound deadening panels to the walls (exensive)
Adding insulation in the walls (whether interior walls or not)
Double up on the sheetrock on the walls

I'm actually just putting the insulation in the walls, I'll have plenty left over from the rest of the addition.

Jason

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You should read in the construction/interior area of HTF for threads and discussion related to sound isolation. Your best friend is mass and decoupling. As suggested, double walls, heavy and doubling up on sheetrock, heavy sealed doors, etc. Keeping in the bass is a very difficult proposition, but doable with the right knowledge, patience, and budget.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
foam acts as an absorber. While this can help slightly with sound isolation, it's primary function is as an absorber for in-room acoustics.

"egg-crate" foam is usually a cheap, thin compromise. Thick acoustical foams are out there, but are expensive. Keep in mind many foams are closed cell foams, such as many kinds of bedding foams, which are worthless as absorbers.

Fiberglass board type products are usually the most cost effective for in-room absorption.

As for studios actually using thin egg-crate type foams, I question their acoustic knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks