Sound cutting out (1 Viewer)

EricEAK

Auditioning
I have the following setup:
Pioneer VSX-D608
Samsung DVD-HD941
Syntax Olevia LT32HVM
Subwoofer DCM SW10

I'm trying to figure out where the weak link in this is that is causing my sound to cut out while playing hardcore moments in movies where there is a lot of sound from all the speakers and plenty of bass to the lfe channel. I have my speakers set to small, so all the bass goes to the woofer. I've tried with success the following things to keep the sound from cutting out:

Unhooked the subwoofer
Turned the volume down

Neither of which I want to do. So the pioneer doesn't cut out when i either turn the volume down or have the woofer disconnected. I've checked all of my wiring and there are no shorts or crosses. I understand that the Pioneer's act of cutting out is likely its own safety mechanism to keep it from blowing the amp. But what if it's just because it's not getting enough power? I do have a ton hooked up to the same power strip. Is it possible that a UPS power module may help?

The aforementioned is my main concern, hopefully someone can help me out. If not, the following questions are to help me decide on a new receiver if all else fails.

That's all I can think of. I'd love to be able to keep this receiver, I've gotten very accustomed to it and love its performance otherwise. But for the sake of asking, what stats/performance numbers should I pay attention to when researching a new reciever? I've never seen a rating for power supply, sound cut off limits, etc - will my only rule of thumb be to go with a higher quality brand name? Does anyone have some pretty substantial recomendations for brands or units that crank out the sound for demanding dvds without hiccuping?

Thanks in advance.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Is your sub on the same circuit? This sounds a little like AC supply issues for sure. The sub being on should in no way impair or effect the AVR and make it cut it, unless it is just taking to much AC power away.

Eric_Som

Auditioning
Run an extension cord from a seperate circuit to just your reciever and see if it still cut outs. That should answer if your current circuit is the problem.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I had a similar problem it turned out my rear speakers where shorting out in the Reciever, I disconnected them and the problem went away. altho they worked just when alot of sound action was happening the Reciever cut out.

Try Disconnecting your rear then Front speakers and see if you still have the problem!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Check all your wiring (disconnect and reconnect), in particular at the receiver. A SINGLE strand of wire touching the receiver's chassis can cause an intermittent short.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Eric. Welcome to HTF! :)

It sounds like you have already done the right things using a self-powered sub and setting all other speakers to SMALL.

I am assuming you have the subwoofer hooked to the reciever with an RCA cable? With this connection - the reciever should NOT be trying to power low-frequency signals so the volume should not matter. But you say disconnecting the sub solves the problem? Very strange.

Does the sound 'cut out' or does the entire reciever power off?

How hot is the reciever when this happens? Do you have good ventilation above it?

You say "turning down the volume" - but what if you turn UP the volume, but down the intensity knob on the sub? Do you still have the problem?

EricEAK

Auditioning
I tried hooking up the receiver to a different circuit, no help. Although I did just order a nice new UPS, even if that isn't the solution, it's going to be wise to have.

I will have to try the suggestion of basically rewiring my speakers just to be sure again.

I do have the sub hooked up via RCA.

The receiver does not shut off, only the sound ceases. I don't know if all/most units do this, but mine makes a 'mechanical/audible' click sound once the sound to the speakers comes on. It goes like this, I turn the thing on, 3 seconds later, 'ka-click' then the sound arrives. So when the sound cuts out for me, that 'ka-click' DOES NOT occur; just the sound stops for a fraction of a second, up to 2-3 secs at times. Depending on how intense the scene in the movie is.

The receiver also does not get hot at all, I've checked every corner for hot areas. It is on the top with free air all around.

Thanks for all of your insights people, I'm checking out new possibilities I'd otherwise overlook. Hopefully we'll find the source.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Just a few weeks ago I fired up a DVD, turned the volume up and after a minute - my Yamaha shut off.

I carefully checked both ends of all speaker wires and tried again - same problem.

I hauled out the HT Tool box and started examining speaker wires. I could find no visible shorts or strands of copper sticking out. (I am careful in this and I use banana plugs to create a extra-neat connection).

I found about 3 of the wires that looked less-than-new on the ends due to oxidization. These I cut off, stripped back and re-attached the bananas. Every banana got examined and I tightned down the screws on every one.

Put the connections back - no problem.

I never did "see" any issue with my wires. But every year or so, it's a good idea to trim back and re-attach your wires.

EricEAK

Auditioning
Thanks to everyone helping me out. I did all i could and totally rewired all of my speakers with new 16gauge wire with no success in resolving the problem. I even tried different optical inputs, dd and dts movies, nothing worked. I even have it all hooked up to the UPS unit. I guess the 'ol pioneer just can't take the larger than original speakers even though they're all set to small.

Ugh, at least now I'm pretty much 100% sure I should replace the pioneer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks