Sound conversion on DVD Player vs sound conversion on reciever...?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James USAF, Sep 27, 2003.

1. James USAF

James USAF Agent

Was watching LOTR earlier today and this isn't really a problem...just curiosity.

I have an older Sony DVD Player -- DVP-NC600 which has the regular DTS. My receiver, Pioneer Elite 45tx, has DTS ES. I know DTS ES is for the extra rear channels. However...I am talking about sound in general (and not necessarily DTS)

Question is this. Does the DVD player have any effect on the sound quality or is this handle solely on the receiver? Would I benefit in upgrading the DVD player for sound quality purposes?

Guess I am just wondering which is more important...the sound conversions on the DVD player...or the receiver. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

[​IMG]

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

James,

sometimes it depends on the quality of the DACs on the player and on the receiver - if your receiver is newer it may have better DACs than you older player. Having said that, most times it depends on which sound you prefer [​IMG] I have an older Yamaha receiver and a newer DVDp and generally prefer the Yamaha's DACs

f

3. James USAF

James USAF Agent

not talking about that actually. Was wondering which was more important...has more of an impact. The DVD player or the receiver? I guess I am wondering if the DVD player overrides the receiver or vice versa? [​IMG]