Sound Cards and digital outs

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Martice, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I plan to use my PC in my HT. I have all of the decoding taken care of with my Pre/Pro and would like to know of some cards that might be good choices. I figure I could save a bit by not requiring my card to have on board DD/DTS decoding. I figure all I need is a card that has a digital out (S/PIDF) and Win or Power DVD. Is this the way it would work?

2. Rollie

Rollie Stunt Coordinator

I've got a Soundblaster Live! card. The platinum version comes with a "Live Drive" which has digital outs. I ran a digital coax monster cable from the live drive into the digital Laserdisc port on my receiver. Now I blast out mp3s through my home stereo.

I did this a few years ago though, so my system is probably waaaay outdated. Recently I've seen a new crop of Dolby Digital sound cards. I believe Soundblaster Live! even has one.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Depends on how serious you are about quality. Soundblaster cards see to do some sort of funky resample of the audio coming in, so it doesn't pass "bit for bit" digital audio from DVD.
    Most people into HTPC use the MAUDIO DELTA 24/96 AUDIOPHILE card.
    I've noticed that you've posted a few questions about parts for HTPC- so you should check out the AVSFORUM (www.avsforum.com) and their HTPC section. There is a pretty set accepted standard for the basic "best" pieces of hardware for these applications.
    -v
    PS: If you're looking to save money by not having onboard DD/DTS decoding- forget it. Onboard comes only on lower end cards because it would be a feature requested by those who are less critical about audio. Good straigh passthrough of digital signal is considered as specialy item, expect to pay $125+

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Once again thanks Vince. I am very particular about my sound so I guess more thorough research is in order as well as some more scratch ($$$$$). I hear Turtle Beach has some nice cards. I think it's the Santa Cruz? Anyone using this card?

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Any suggestions of specific sound cards with good "digital passthrough" that isn't re-sampled and/or downmixed in any way?
    thanx
    [​IMG]

6. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Agent

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

So the DD AC3 I'm hearing through my receiver from my SB 128 via digital out is not "digital passthrough"? Its altered?