1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Sound card with digital (optical or coax) out

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeremy_Watson, May 29, 2003.

1. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering getting a new soundcard so I can watch DVDs on my computer and get the surround sound experience using my receiver and 5.1 setup. I've begun looking briefly, but figured I'd ask here for any recommendations. Most decent looking cards I've seen run about $150 in stores (probably cheaper online). Do any of you have recommendations on a good, not-too-pricey card, or ones to be wary of?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Drew Wimmer

Drew Wimmer Stunt Coordinator

3. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

woops disregard, missed the optical/coax

though it is possible with a 1/8" Mini digital out

4. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

(cue up my usual suggestion...)

Check out the Zoltrix Nightingale Pro 6. Optical & coax ins & outs, plus 6 ch. analog through minijacks. 45 bones jones, works like a charm.

cheers,

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I got a CeMedia sound card with optical in and out for $15 about a year ago on uBid. I don't know if it will specifically support Dolby Digital, but I would think that any sound card would.

6. RandyObert

RandyObert Agent

My Abit NF7-S MB has 6 channel, Dolby, Optical output and the entire board is 120$. I replaced an Audigy 2 card with this and love it. Only card in system is my Ti4600 Abit vid card

I did pull the chip-set fan off this MB when I got it, almost NO thermal grease under fan, I run all water cooling so it got a water block in place of this fan.

This old MB and processor. I upped this to a XP2800 Barton
    Pics

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Randy your post made me smack my head and say "duh". Of course my $15 CeMedia sound card supports Dolby Digital, it has 6 channel analog output in addition to the digital in and out. WinDVD 6-channel version was part of the OEM bundled software!

Works great, too.

8. RandyObert

RandyObert Agent

15$ for 6 Channel dolby digital? can't beat that! I did finally get to use the Optical input on my cambridge 5.1 system however.