What's new

Sound Card W/ Optical output (1 Viewer)

kyle-sm

Agent
Is there such a thing? I did a few searches and got nothing. Right now I've got the santa cruz sound card, I want to upgrade to one with a fiber optic output if this is possible. So I get the full effect of my Dolby Digital 5.1

Maybe there is one with a digital coax. or there is some other good option I haven't though of.

kyle-sm

Agent
ok I found one on ebay searh sound card optical(I can't post url's yet bc I don't have 15 posts), will this give me the same sound as a dvd player and an optical out will give me?? Are there any better options on the market that anyone recommends?

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
The AV515M.

Here is a review of the Chaintech version that I have: http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/mis...av515m_1.shtml

A few manufactures make it. Keep in mind, they are reviewing the analog sound out of it. Using Optical, it is just pure data, there is no "quality". It either works or it doesn't.

I got this card for $15, and I am more than happy with it.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
My sound card was an M-Audio DIO 2496, and it had Toslink outputs. I packed it away, however, when I replaced the HTPC mainboard with an Asus A7N266, which features built-in 5.1 with coax and Toslink ports.

RD

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have the same Chaintech card that Ben mentions. It's great and cheap as dirt. It even has 6-channel analog output!

By coincedence I also have the Asus A7N266 motherboard that Robert mentions! :) The sound card on that is disabled because I need an optical IN.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, That chaintech card is a very good deal for what it offers.

I however went the B&M route (Living in Canada and no Credit card makes it hard ot buy stuff online :frowning: ), and got a Hercules Fortissimo II DE (digital optical inputs/outputs) for $35CAD.

BUt yeah, if I were able to easily buy off the net, i'd get that chiaintech.. newegg.com has it for $21

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks