What's new

Sound card questions for mp3 box (1 Viewer)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Eventually I want to set up a HTPC and upconvert DVDs to 1080i, but until I figure the video card situation out, I just want to set up my extra box as an mp3 server. So I want to pick up a sound card that will work for my mp3 server now and will allow me to expand its use for DVDs later.
I really want to have a digital connection to reduce hiss and pop, but I think I'm going to have to get one with an optical connection b/c I think my stereo's digital coax inputs are all taken. I keep reading about M-Audio on this board, so when I go and look at their options, it looks like the Delta Dio 24/96 is the way to go b/c of its Toslink connections.
Am I missing something here? Are there cheaper options that would give me the optical output and the capability for playing DVDs in 6.1 DD/DTS later on?

The 2 most commercially popular soundcards used today, to my knowledge, are the new Soundblaster Audigy series and the Turtle Beach/Voyetra Santa Cruz. Neither of these cards has an optical out; the Santa Cruz connects digitally using one (the red) plug of a stereo Y-cable and I'm assuming the Audigy does something similar. I would tell you to just use an optical/coaxial converter except that they seem to be prohibitively expensive. It really looks like you'll be spending some cash on this one to get the correct output, I'm sorry to say.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Hmm, that actually looks like a pretty good setup. A few questions ...

Does the OEM come with the software, or just the hardware?

Would the software be worth the extra $25?

Why would anyone get the 5.1 version when the 6.1 version is the same price?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I purchased the OEM version and it was exactly the same as the retail version except for the lack of pretty packaging. The only part of the software package I found usefull was PowerDVD.

Why would anyone get the 5.1 version when the 6.1 version is the same price?
Odd that they even offer a 5.1 version. I purchased mine about a year ago when all they offered was a 5.1 version. They've since released a driver update that made mine a 6.1 model. I wonder if the 5.1 model on the NewEgg site is just a leftover with the older driver. (just a guess)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Thx for the help. I just put my order in. It's strange ... I think they just removed the 5.1 version from the product catalog today. Whatever ... I'm getting the 6.1 OEM and it should be exactly what the Dr. ordered :)

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I have an Audigy Platinum internal -- it has a drive that gives you an optical output and a digital coax (RCA) output. It runs for about $200. You can get an external model, but I'm not sure what that one retails for....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks