1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Sound card possibilities...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveJJ, Feb 26, 2002.

1. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking about using two cd drive devices. One is a 52x cd-rom and a 16x dvd-rom which includes a 42x cd-rom combo. I would like to keep the 52x cd-rom because its faster than the 42x cd-rom device. Is it possible to install two sound cards for each device? Has anyone ever try this arrangement? What are your thoughts about this setup? Thanks for any comment!
    DaveJJ[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Have Fun Guys! My HTnew times

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Your soundcard should have an AUX jack on it, just run the other CD drive into it.

3. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

with a modern OS (and compatible hardware), you don't even need to connect the cdrom(s) to the sound card anymore

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Dave- If your 52x is one of those TrueX models that Kenwood made/makes, I would keep it. Otherwise, I'd just go with the one drive for simplicity and the fact that there isn't a whole lot of real world difference between a normal 52x drive and a 42x drive; in fact, the slower drive may do certain tasks (like extracting digital audio to make MP3s) faster than the 52x.

The only reason you would need two soundcards is if you wanted to listen to CD audio from both drives, instead of just one. Even then, there are solutions that actually use the IDE connection to play the CDs sound; kinda like ripping and playing on the fly.