Sound callibration with Digital Video Essentials

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by SamCK, Jan 2, 2004.

1. SamCK

SamCK Agent

I'm having some trouble trying to use DVE - the DVD doesn't really explain things very well I find. I'm using an Infocus X1.

I have a sound meter (Radio Shack) and am using c weighting and slow. For the reference level, 75 db, what speaker should I be using, and do I simply adjust the master volume on the receiver to achieve this? From there do I adjust each other speaker to match? When trying to adjust the output of the various 5.1 speakers, I found the test signal kept rotating around to the other speakers.

I'm going to try the video part this weekend.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    75dB, slow, weight C is fine. Place the meter in the main seating position, on a tripod if you have one, and angle it up slightly about 45 degrees.

You can play test tones for each individual speaker.

First, you set the master volume when the test tone for the left speaker plays. Adjust the volume up or down until the meter reads 75dB from the left speaker. At this point, you will not again touch the master volume until the entire audio calibration is complete. Next test tone is the centre speaker. When this plays, you will adjust the centre level up or down until the meter indicates 75dB. Proceed to all of the other speakers and adjust accordingly.

3. SamCK

SamCK Agent

I have a new Yamaha Receiver. I can adjust the individual speaker volumes and balance using the internal receiver test tones, but when I play the DVE DVD test tones, I can't seem to adjust teh individual speakers unless I turn off the DVD sound and go to "test" in the receiver, otherwise I can only adjust the volume overall. I'm confused... I'm sure it must be simple to do this. Thanks.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

There is a decent overview in the FAQ and PRIMER of how to do calibration.

Some receivers do have the problem you stated- that they won't let you adjust individual levels without beng in the internal tones (which sucks). In my case, my old receiver did this- I would go through the VE tones with a piece of paper and note how high/low they were. When it was done, i'd go into the "test" setting- and make adjustments and then run the VE test again- and fine tune from there.

Granted it was a longer process, but the manufacturer made it impossible to do it right.

-vince