Sound Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dave_brogli, Aug 11, 2002.

1. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Hi I apologize for this thread but I could not find a simple answer searching....(for an hour)
    I just bought a ratshack db sound level meter, and i want to calibrate my receiver. So... heres the dumb question. How do I do it? haha I have no idea. I am completely lost! Any help would be appreciated!!! (or even a link to a thread that tells you how to!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

It is generally recommended that you use a calibration disc such as Avia or Video Essentials. They will have instructions telling you how to do the calibration. Your receiver probably has internal test tones (I think this is a Dolby requirement) that you could use, but they are generally inaccurate as to setting the proper reference level. Refer to your receiver's instruction manual to tell you where the proper set-up menu is.
    If you have more specific questions, tell us your receiver and someone who owns it can probably help [​IMG]

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The disk will play test tones from each of your speakers. What you will need to do is adjust the receiver level for each speaker using the receiver or remote so all are set equal at 75dB. Start with the main speakers L and R. Use the volume control to adjust the level until the meter is at 75dB. That will be your reference. Then the disk will play the centre speaker tone. Adjust the centre speaker level (do not touch the volume control any more) until you get 75dB. When you come to the surround channel, adjust the surround level the same way. The sub is a little more tricky as the meters are not quite accurate at low levels. Use the following to compensate fort eh innacuracies...http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page11.html

4. Paul_R_M

Paul_R_M Auditioning

When calibrating using pink noise, make sure that the bandwidth of the test signals are identical on all channels (subwoofer included). For example, THX controllers and receivers band limit the internal test signal to 2 octaves (500 Hz - 2 kHz for front and surround channels and 20 Hz - 80 Hz for the subwoofer). Avoid using any external test signal which does not specify equal bandwidth per channel.

You should also be careful when using external sources's analog outputs. Output can vary depending on brand by a couple of dB. With one of these DVD players, you can still adjust the relative levels of the channels, but the absolute SPL may be off. This does not apply to the digital outputs.