Sound Calibration...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Jac, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Chris Jac

Chris Jac Auditioning

First of all I want to say this forum is GREAT. Everyone has been very helpful...

Now, I am diving into a very touchy subject as I can see from all of the posts that I have read.

I have done some research on the calibration DVDs from Avia, Video Essentials, and Sound & Vision. I see many people are really concerned with the video calibration and most people focus on that in their discussions. I would like to know a little more about the sound calibration.

I am going to buy a spl from Radio Shack so I can get this done right and I would like to know if these discs offer a sound tone for calibrating that is any different than what I get on my receiver anyway. My receiver has a static or white noise test sound for each speaker except the sub. It travels in a circle around my living room. Do these DVDs have a "real" test sound for calibrating? Can you do it speaker by speaker instead of a continuous loop around my house? and...Do they have a test tone for the sub?

Looks like only the Sound & Vision model supports DTS. Will that make a difference? Thanks again for any help...

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Chris, welcome to the Forum.
    The answers are yes, yes and yes. You are right on track. Get S&V, for

3. Scott Reiss

Scott Reiss Agent

I just went through the calibration with the Sound and Vision DVD. There are a number of different audio tests that are performed - phase, balance, crossover for sub, etc. There are different tones done in different ways. The DVD will tell you that some receivers REQUIRE the use of their test tones in order to calibrate the speakers, and that's okay. What I did was went through the DVD to understand the test, made adjustments on my receiver, then repeated the S&V test to confirm and repeat as necessary.

You can do the tests speaker by speaker and there are multiple tests specific to the subwoofer. As to the DTS test, my guess would be that if you have a DTS receiver, then those tests would be useful. I don't, so I skipped that part.

Using the spl from Radio Schack is a key requirement, I think, for I find my ears to be a poor judge. Using the meter makes it very clear whether or not, for example, the left front is 'as loud as' the right front.

Good luck ...

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Chris,

You might also glance at the handful of posts in the FAQ and PRIMER (link in my sig)-- there are a few calibration related tips that might help you once you decide on a calibration disc.

You might find that the calibration tones on the discs are similar to your receiver tones- however the disc based ones give you a bit more control, give you complete instructions, and IMHO offer a more accurate calibration.

-Vince

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    For a long time I used my receiver's test tones for calibration and one day decided to give the Video Essentials tones a test. There was definitely a difference, particularly in the rears. Using the receiver tones they were set one to two db too low. The other thing about the VE tones is they measured solidly on the SPL, meaning the needle went up and stuck and didn't waver as it does with the receiver tones. If you want accuracy/consistency go with the test disc.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you should always calibrate from the disc - this allows you to "factor in" all the components in the sound chain.

if you only calibrate from the receiver, you don't account for any tonal changes that can occur due to the dvd player.

i've also got the s&v dvd...works great.

7. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Ted & Cameron. I wondered why my receiver's tones were about 4-6db lower than my disc tones and Ted's explanation makes sense to me.

I've found the S&V disc to be the easiest to use for my needs, though I plan on using Avia to tweak my video calibration and compare it with my S&V-calibrated picture when I have some more time. The S&V disc will definitely get you started and pointed in the right direction. For a lot of us, it may be all you need. Have fun!