What's new

Sound Breaks On Pirates of the Caribbean (1 Viewer)

HarleyMYK

Agent
I recently bought a copy of the Pirates of the Caribbean Collector's Edition dvd. The picture and analog sound work fine. When I try and use either dts or DD 5.1, there are breaks in the sound every 30 seconds or so. I am playing the dvd in a Toshiba SD-4800 with a 75 ohm digital cable going to an Outlaw 1050.

Is my dvd defective, is this some new copy protection that my equipment can't handle, or is there a setting somewhere that I need to deal with that I don't know about?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

James_SCEA

Agent
Harley,

This does not appear to be a copy protection issue at all. Your digital out settings must be set to "on" for DTS and Dobly Digital should not be set to PCM. Other than that I'm sure you're doing everything correctly. I beleive that this is a DTS-ES title but that shouldn't effect anything. If other dvd movies are playing fine with DTS and DD, you should consider exchanging the movie.

I've listend to both tracks on my upgraded Marantz SR 8200 and never once experienced the problem you are describing.

Are there any video anomolies while playing the disc?

JC

HarleyMYK

Agent
There are no video problems, and dozens of other DD 5.1 and dts dvds have played great on this setup exactly as is.

The only other time I noticed a similar problem was when I tried to play the music only selection available on "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". The regular movie portion of the 'Motown dvd played perfectly both in dts and DD5.1. At that time, I assumed that this portion of the 'Motown dvd was improperly produced.

Everything must be set properly to get any digital sound out. So it is beginning to sound like I have a defective dvd.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
just for the heck of it, try cleaning the disc and see what happens......... won't hurt. If it still does it, exchange the disc......

HarleyMYK

Agent
I should have mentioned that I already tried cleaning the CD (even though it was new). It did not help.

John Chow

Second Unit
Actually, I suspect this is an issue with the Outlaw 1050...Go to the Outlaw Forums and read up on the Harry Potter threads and you will see that a new version of the DD EX Flag is giving the Outlaw some serious issues.

A couple workarounds include

1. adding a 6th rear center channel, and manually locking it to this mode before the movie. (I think letting the receiver auto choose mode may still have problems).

2. turning on rear center speaker whether or not you have one, and then locking the receiver into 5.1 mode manually. Downside is doesn't always work since some discs continually turn 6.1 back on.

3. turning on rear center speaker whether or not you have one, and leave it in 6.1 mode, but downside to this is you lose information in the rears, or in this case probably just volume since the rear center is matrixed anyway.

All options have downsides, anyways, read the threads on the outlawaudio forums for the details, i might've mixed up some of the pros/cons of the workarounds :p)

Shad R

Supporting Actor
there are two or three times the sound breaks when I watch it (dolby digital) I have viewed it twice, once rented, once bought, and the sound broke both times for me. It was wierd.I just paused it and started it again, and it fixed the problem.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Just to clarify for you, all DVD soundtracks are digital. There is no analog sound on DVD. Digital isn't limited to 5.1 tracks; 1.0 and 2.0 tracks are digital, as well.

DJ

Real Name
DELETED ACCOUNT
My wife and I just watched it last night and experienced one "audio break" in the movie. At around 1:05 (I believe) the audio started clicking and while the movie continued playing, the time display on the DVD player stopped counting up. I hit the Stop button on the DVD player and then hit the resume Play button and it fixed the problem. No other audio issues in the rest of the movie so I'm not sure if my experience is related.

I have a Toshiba 3107 player with a standard (older) Sony Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver using optical outputs. Anyone else experience these problems?

-Scott

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator

Damin -
I believe he means that he is using the stereo RCA analog jacks from the DVD player to the receiver. Its still digital sound from the DVD, but the DVD player is decoding the sound instead of the receiver. I assume that this would mean that the receiver is the problem.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It's a problem with the receiver and the flags used to encoded DTS-ES and DD-EX soundtracks.

Sounds like you need a new receiver if Outlaw never updated their decoding software for this product.

Dan

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

I think you're right - I thought he was mistaking 2.0 tracks for "analog," which is something I've seen a number of people do in the past.

DJ

HarleyMYK

Agent
Of course, it is digital on the DVD - I meant sending an analog stereo signal to the receiver or playing it in stereo with PowerDVD on my PC. These options where there is not any DD or dts decoding work fine.

I am not sure if this is the same problem as discussed the Harry Potter thread, since both the DD and the DTS on POTC are 5.1 (not 6.1 or 7.1). The Harry Potter problem is with DD EX.

HarleyMYK

Agent
Well, I'll be darned! Telling the 1050 that I have a rear surround speaker (even though I don't) fixed the problem. I did not think this would make any difference, since the movie is in 5.1 dts and dd, not 6.1 or 7.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks