What's new

Sound Affecting Monitor (1 Viewer)

Thira

Agent
I am a newbie on the forum and actually have three questions, not all related.
I just built an addition which included a media room. The room is 22' by 20'. The equipment:
Panasonic TH50PHD5UY Monitor- wall mounted thru sheetrock into cinderblock
Yamaha DSP-A1 Dolby Digital Integrated Amplifier
Velodyne HGS 18 Subwoofer
Yamaha DVD-S700 DVD Player
Monitor Audio Silver Series Speakers: S-10 x2
S-1 x2
S-LCR
SFX Surround x2
Questions:
1- When I am playing a movie with a lot of volume and/or base (i.e. Fellowship of the Rings) the sound affects the picture on the monitor. When the sound/base grows louder the picture develops distortion waves. I do not notice this on HDTV, but then again the sound is never so full as on some DVD's.

2- When the volume on the Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amplifier is 40-50% or greater the Integrated Amplifier simply will turn off if the sound is full or with a lot of base.

The electronic pieces are placed along the front wall below the monitor from viewier left to right: Monitor Audio S-10- electornic pieces with S-LCR -Monitor Audio S-10 Velodyne HSG 18

Thanks for the anticipated replies. I hope this thread is properly placed.

Thira;) ;)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Thira,

Yup, this probably should have been posted at the "Receivers" forum.

For the first question, my first guess is that a cable may be loose or defective. Make sure all video connections are tight at both ends. Try wriggling the connection at both ends - often a cable will fail just beyond the barrel of the connector. If that gets no disturbance of the picture, try wriggling along the length of the cable. If there is a bad spot somewhere in the cable, disturbing it will show up on the screen.

My second guess would be that since the monitor is physically coupled to the wall, it is getting induced vibrations from bass frequencies.

For the second question, not sure. The Monitor Audio website shows that all the speakers are 6- or 8-ohms and reasonably efficient, so the Yamaha should have no problem driving them.

But first things first – check your speaker wiring at both ends (for all speakers) to make sure no stray strands are getting across the opposite connection.

Still, the problem may be with the 6-ohm speakers (the 10’s and the S-LRC). When you find a problem passage, try disconnecting either the S-LRC or the 10’s to see if that makes a difference. After that, try unhooking all three.

Another thing – since you have the S-10’s at L/R, I’ll hazard a guess that you’re running them full-range? If so, don’t. All speakers should be set to “small.” This will increase headroom significantly.

Third question - what happened to the third question? :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks