Soultrane and Steamin on MoFi Super Audio!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Two big new jazz titles announced for Mobile Fidelity Super Audio CD...just thought people might want a break from format war discussions.

www.mofi.com

Also, Brian Moura reports that Sony is adding a HYBRID SACD plant in Europe with 50,000 title per month capacity.

Also, Virgin is stepping up Super Audio efforts and releasing Peter Gabriel catalog in Europe as Geffen is doing here stateside.

[​IMG]

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Excellent news!

To the best of my knowledge, the only SACDs from MoFi on the market are the Patricia Barber albums, of which I have one and ordered another. The sonics are some of the best I've heard on the format. The music itself is nice but I have been anxiously awaiting some heavyweight material from them.

They are supposed to be releasing Sonny Rollins' Plus 4, but I don't think it's out yet.

Steamin' and Soultrane, by the way, are available on XRCD, the latter of which I do have. The irony is that the SACDs will be the same price as or less than the XRCDs.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, I read about this on Audio Asylum. Perhaps you saw the thread there. The feedback there was surprisingly negative. Anyway, I am glad to see Soultrane and Steamin' coming to SACD. The problem for me will be the prices. I expect these discs to go for $25 each. [​IMG]

It is interesting to see MoFi releasing Steamin' since Analogue Productions released Cookin'. We now have a rivalry between audiophile music dealers brewing for the best $25 SACDs. I guess Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct will be duking it out for awhile. Now I want to see Steve Hoffman do an SACD of Steamin' for Analogue Productions. [​IMG]

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Mike, what's an "XRCD"? Is that the same as a DAD?

5. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

This is great news. I'm glad they are starting to put out some different titles. If they release jazz and blues titles like they used to, I'll be a happy camper! Does anybody know anything about the John Lee Hooker-Country Blues disc?
    On another note, do people actually pay some of the prices they are asking for their old gold discs? Would anybody pay $149.00 for Muddy Waters Folk Singer when the SACD is priced at $15.00-20.00? I'm glad I picked up this one when it was released.

Regards
    KrisM

NP - Monk - Staright No Chaser

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    If my mo-fi Muddy Waters is worth $149, mine is offically for sale![​IMG]