What's new

SOTL anamorphic PAL transfer not as good as NTSC Criterion transfer, how about Reg 1? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I read the other thread on SOTL hoping it was discussing the transfer but it was just about whether the WS or P&S was in stores yet.
I've been avoiding the Criterion disc as the #1 reason to buy DVD to me is the film & the film alone which means I only buy anamorphic discs.
I was disappointed to read a thread at the forum on www.dvddebate.com stating the new PAL anamorphic transfer suffered from terrible grain, stating the clips on the 2nd disc look better than in the film itself.
Can anyone tell me if the Reg 1 is any better?
Check out the thread http://www.dvddebate.com/viewtopic.p...ic=771&forum=2

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I haven't seen either of these versions yet (I still have my old R1 Image
frown.gif
), but here are two reviews of the R4, which I believe is the same as the R2: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Search/ReviewSearch.asp?title=Silence%20Of%20The%20Lambs, %20The:%20Special%20Edition
Neither mentions any grain, perhaps the film was shot that way and the new transfer with its increased resolution exhibits this clearer.
------------------
/Mikael
No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.
[Edited last by Mikael Soderholm on August 13, 2001 at 02:53 PM]

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The R2/4 version is vastly superior to the Criterion DVD and LD transfer. The MGM DVD is nowhere near as grainy as the Criterion version, although it is not reference quality. Its main problem is the player generated subtitles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks