What's new

SOS - Subwoofer Optimizer System (1 Viewer)

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin:
Yes, the front sub would receive the a sub preout signal (LFE with FS, CS , RS bass management). The rear sub would receive bass from the rear surround preamp output without bass management (LS Large, RS Large). Both at 80Hz.

M.E.

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Automated Controlled Environments inc. is an Independent Woman Owned Small Business, founded by Richard Bailey ...
Women are a government classified minority group and as such deemed to be at a disadvantage in the business world.
A minority owned company is given preferential treatment and eased qualification requirements when applying for SBA loans, Gov. grants, reduced interest loans with longer terms from private investors, are eligible for a multitude of small biz assistance programs, given exemptions to many Fed and state EPA and other compliance laws. Also, tax exemtions and credits, employee training and wage funding, start up cost reimbursements, equipment write offs and preferred vendor status when selling to the Gov. If your wife does not own 51% of YOUR business, why not? Imagine discovering that she is also 1/16th Native American! It's like hitting the lottery!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mark- Well, I meant that "Richard Bailey" obviously isn't a woman... :)
Jeff- I just looked at the inputs/outputs of my "cheesy" soundcard. There are 3 mini jacks, one is a speaker out (white), one looks like an input (blue, line in?), and one I have no idea (pink, microphone input?). Does that sound right? So I'd need an RCA to minijack type adapter?
I took a quick look at your link. I like it! (Maybe no more manual measurements for me!! :) )

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

Most sound cards have the mini-jacks, in which case you'd use the adapters as documented on the webpage I linked to. So you should be able to follow those hookup instructions exactly.

The Delta 410 is a little different because it's a multi-channel card with 7.1 outputs and 2-channel analog inputs, and each channel has its own RCA connector. The hookup is actually a little easier with this card since you don't need the mini-jack adapters, but it can be a bit confusing when you're reading instructions that apply to a totally different hookup type.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
(Sorry for the aside all...)
Jeff- OK, now that I think I can get the RS meter inputted into my PC, how do I get the sound from my PC to my system? If it only looks like I have that mini-jack speaker output, will that do it? Same-o: minijack to RCA cable adapter, then to an unused analog input on my pre/pro?
EFT plays a known freq, then measures what comes back into the PC?
(I'm going to be really bummed if it is as easy as I think it is now, because before, I thought I would have had to buy a specific audio card to do this... :) )

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Yes, you'll use the mini-jack out on your soundcard. Pay special attention to the hookup diagram on that web-page. You'll be sending the left channel of the output back into the card's left-channel input, and the right channel output will be going to your subwoofer. You don't need to go through the pre-pro if you have a powered sub, just go from the soundcard to the BFD to your subwoofer. No special soundcard needed.

ETF uses MLS test tones, which are generated by the software to produce the frequency response curves. In the continuous mode, ETF will play the test tone every few seconds and update the graph. This makes tweaking the bandwidth/frequency of a filter very easy to dial-in since you make an adjustment, see its effect on the graph, and then keep tweaking till you're happy.

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff:
Is there a noticeable difference in bass response using the BFD/ETF together as opposed to manually equalizing using just the BFD?
ME

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
EFT is just a computer program that makes it easier to set the BFD up. Manually with a Rat Shack meter will produce nearily identical results, will just take a lot longer.

Instead of getting a nice new graph in seconds, after which you can make a quick change. You'll have to manually switch between and write down the readings of each tone, you may decide to graph them, then make your change and repeat.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Marvin, as Dustin said you can get equally accurate results manually, it just takes a lot longer. Especially since you ideally want to graph the entire response curve after adding a filter to make sure it doesn't have unexpected results in other parts of the curve besides the frequency you were targeting.

For me personally I'd say the ETF approach is more accurate just because it takes so much possible human error out of the equation. I don't have to worry about using the wrong tone or writing the wrong measurement down, etc.

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all:
May I recommend the True Audio software RTA. Like the ETF, there is a "free" version that can be down loaded (www.trueaudio.com)and then upgraded depending on how much resolution you need. The max price is $99.99. The RTA is designed to work with the Creative Live SB card and has a calibration curve for the Behringer ECM8000 microphone. The ECM8000 is far superior to the Rat Shack SPL microphone. The only draw back is the need for a preamp. I can recommend the Behringer SHARK. A lot of people are afraid of all of the bells and whistles on the SHARK, but it is very easy to make it into just a preamp if you read the instructions. The True Audio RTA is easy to use and has a number of other functions besides real time analysis.
Regards,
TCIII

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks