1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

SOS from Sony SACD, where's da hybrids?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Elusive disc sent me an e-mail offering preorders on SACD's. Sony is putting out___
    Blue Oyster Cult's AGENTS OF FORTUNE
    David Bowie's HEATHEN
    Keb' Mo's JUST LIKE YOU
    Ozzy (he's drinking again) Osbourne's LIVE AT BUDOKAN
    All are Multi-channel and %@*^!+* single frigin' layer! I'm gonna pass on them all. I vow not to buy another Sony label SACD until they release hybrids. These are tempting titles but I'm fed up Sony! I don't think it's any coincidence that Universal is putting out mostly single layer discs too. These delusional bozos want to exterminate redbook CD so bad they can taste it, but it's a pipedream and this ain't the way to do it!
    Want a really good rock SACD from a reputable label? Buy Grant-Lee Phillip's MOBILIZE (my current fav!!!) or Bruce Cockburn's ANYTHING ANYTIME ANYWHERE from Rounder or Bryan Ferry's FRANTIC from Virgin.
    Just say no to single-layer SACD's! [​IMG]
    Send Sony and Universal a clear message.[​IMG]
    Excuse time is over.....

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm with you, Rachael. This is idiotic. I won't be buying any of these discs, nor any other single-layer SACD*.

*(except for the Miles Davis and Bob Dylan)

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Vary anteresting Scott! I speculated about that possibility in a thread myself recently. I could come to prefer the DVD-A format under that circumstance, maybe? I want a versatile disc. Hybrid SACD rings my bell and so could a hybrid DVD-A. Soo-ny best get it's act together![​IMG]

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Really, Sony need to start producing hybrids. There are many Sony titles that I like to purchase but the idea of only able to play the disc at home just doesn't appeal to me. If Sony continues to produce single-layer SACDs only, then do what Warner Bros-Hong Kong is doing with its SACD releases: include a DSD-mastered redbook CD with the SACD.

6. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

I might be tempted by Heathen, despite the singel-layer.

Don't know if any of you saw the "Sound & Vision" Oct '02 issue that included an interview with producer Tony Visconti. Visconti worked with Bowie on Low, Heroes, Lodger, and most recently, Heathen.

He made the argument that some of Bowie's work would really benefit from multi-channel. He was pretty open about reviewing some recent multi-channel releases and sharing reactions. If nothing else, it would be interesting to see what he and Bowie have come up with.

S&V is a waste of time, but really recommend this article to everyone if they have an interest in either multi-channel or Bowie.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, I still buy the single-layered. I think of it as similar to a DVD-A in that I can only listen to it at home. Of course I'd prefer hybrids, but there you go.

8. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

I don't mind the single layered as it's rare that I listen to cd's outside the house anyway. I've had a cd player in my pickup for three years and I can count on two hands the number of cd's I've played in it.

In any case, I can't wait to hear BOC's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" in surround.