Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil Middlemiss submitted a new blog post

Sorry to Bother You Blu-ray Review
sorry-to-bother-you-lakeith_stanfield_armie_hammer_courtesy_-1024x427.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for the review, Neil. This is one I will probably add to my collection after a price drop simply because there are too many major new releases coming out right now to get everything all at once. However, I really liked the film when I saw it in the theater and look forward to revisiting it on disc at some point.

I sincerely hope this film is not forgotten at Oscars time!

Unfortunately, I think the film is probably too out-of-the-box for the Academy, and if it gets recognized it will be in the form of a screenplay nomination and that's it. I'd love to be wrong, but that seems to be what happens with genre-bending original fare at the Oscars (Get Out, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, etc.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am not going to be as giddy about this film as everyone else was.

Yes, absolutely, I was delightfully entertained while watching this film. Yes, I thought that it was one of the most unique films I had seen in a long time. Yes, it is absolutely worth seeing -- even blindly.

For me, this film went terribly wrong at one point.

The inclusion of "horse people"

Maybe there was a reason for doing what they did with this plotline, but it just felt that a piece of silly, unnecessary fantasy suddenly made its way into a brilliant film and I just could not connect to it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I really wanted to like this one a lot more than I did. There are a lot of interesting things in it, but it's also very messy and sloppy. It feels like a first draft that was banged out in a week and never revised, or a promising student film. I enjoyed the somewhat similarly themed Black Klansman a lot more than this one.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Maybe there was a reason for doing what they did with this plotline, but it just felt that a piece of silly, unnecessary fantasy suddenly made its way into a brilliant film and I just could not connect to it.

Yes, there is. It is 'The Other'. Consider that you and I have lived our lives never knowing what it is like to be The Other in society while those of other races have. Introducing a NEW other is a wild card. One that provides:
-New perspectives for the existing majority and the minorities
-Potential for those IN the majority to be transformed to the Other
-The Minorities now have a NEW Minority to consider, one in which they are potentially going to be displaced by.

Most importantly is the FEAR of the new unknown.

This mindfuck is the whole point of STBY. Without it the film is just 'yeah it sucks being a minority, not a whole lot we can do about it other than pretend to be in the majority and/or organize and fight'. And both of those are valid strategies being used to good and bad effect in STBY. Danny Glover representing the first. Steve Yeun representing the second. Submission versus aggression.

By introducing a new other it gets ALL of us to notice that the struggle will always be there. If it's not skin color it will be something else. And the solution is not to adapt from being the oppressed to embracing being an oppressor but for ALL of us stand up for the rights of the minorities, whatever that selection criteria is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks