sorry to ask , recommendation question?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by francis_d, Feb 2, 2004.

1. francis_d

francis_d Auditioning

Ok, folks, I want the $30,000 theatre system, but I don't have the house, nor the space for it, ... or more importantly the money. So, here's what I need, nice receiver/speaker system, for living room in my apartment, and looking to spend in the $500 range? Should I just buy pre-packaged home theater system, if so, which one? I'm looking for feature rich, ... obviously limited by price, if the package can include progressive scan dvd mores the merrier.

Any takers.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Personally, I'd take a $5K system and a $25K home theater addition on the house before I'd put $30K into just the system. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Alex_Longoria

Alex_Longoria Auditioning

What ever you buy , just don't buy the home theater in a box.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Your best bet is probably a speaker system like the JBL NSP1 or one of the Fluance packages, a Dayton 10" sub, and a refurb HK 125 or Onkyo 501 receiver. This would max out the $500 limit before DVD but is really a big leap above any comparable HTIB.

If you do go HTIB, the only ones to look at in the price range are the Onkyos or possibly one of the pioneers that include the 811s receiver and 656a prog scan universal player, or the newer 812s/363a progressive scan player systems. The Pioneer systems have worse speakers than the Onkyos but the electronics you get are pretty much worth the price you pay and would be a great starting point if you're open to a speaker/sub upgrade on down the road (you're pretty much getting the included speakers for free when you work out the price of the electronics individually).

Something like one of these could be had at a great price and would make a great start:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39815

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39815

Hope this helps [​IMG]