What's new

Sorry to ask, but Panny 53WX42 or Tosh 50h82 (1 Viewer)

JasonKosh

Grip
I have been trying to decide between these 2 RPTVs. After reading posts here and on AVS, I am even more confused.
Right now I will be mainly watching DVD's, but NTSC and HDTV signals are also a concern.

If I am mainly interested in DVDs, am I going to be better off with the native 480p or will the 540p upconversion of the Toshiba be ok, or can you even tell a difference?

wayne-sun

Agent
Personally I have a Toshiba 50H82 but the Panasonic was one of the other sets that I was looking at. It was impossible to compare the two in any stores due to lighting conditions, different video sources and such but I thought the Toshiba stretch modes were a little better. Hope that helps.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You will get a bit more resolution detail out of the Panasonic ...

Neither set is perfect, but properly set up, both units have the potential to look very nice ...

Regards

Tim_B

Agent
I went through this exact dilema and decided on the Panny. It has 3" more screen which is very nice. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the stretch modes and the NTSC clarity. I watch about 60% NTSC/HD Cable and 40% DVD's. The NTSC is very watchable and the HD and DVD clarity is incredible. I am pleased with my purchase. Hopefully I will have it ISF'd in the next couple of months.

JasonKosh

Grip
Thanks for replies.
Michael, when you say the Panasonic will give me slightly better resolution, is that in all modes or 480p vs. 540p?

I am leaning slightly towards the Toshiba right now, but if the Panasonic will look better for DVD viewing I might be swayed toward it.
Thanks

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I got the Panasonic because it does native 480p, has a larger screen and cost over $200 less.

JasonKosh

Grip
So I guess I am still curious as to whether or not their is a difference between native 480p vs the 540p up-conversion?

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
On this forum, I read someone explaining that the 540p up-conversion can lead to artifacts.
If there were a shrug emoticon, I'd use it now. :)
«edit»
I found one. :D
Link Removed

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Michael TLV has an excellent article on the Keohi site showing you exactly what you lose with the 540p upconversion. It (that is, the loss) ain't much. If you aren't looking at a test pattern, it's highly unlikely that you'd notice the difference from native 480p even in an A/B comparison. If you're just watching a DVD, there's no way you'd notice it.
However, why not go for the Panasonic and rest assured that you're getting the sharpest picture?
Well, of course, other factors enter into it. What kind of deal can you get on either set? The Panasonic is bulkier...how much space do you have? What does your SO think of the styling? Compare the stretch modes...Toshiba has been better in the past, but Panasonic may have caught up by now. I think the Panasonic offers an optional screen protector (needed if you have or will have kids and/or certain pets); the Toshiba has the screen protector built in, but you may want to remove it if you don't have kids/destructive pets because it adds glare. Toshibas have the reputation of looking better out of the box, but Panasonics can be tweaked/calibrated to provide stunning pictures.
You'd have a hard time going wrong either way.
Enjoy!
Jan

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at these sets as well. A couple of other factors:

1) The Toshiba has one of the best reps for color decoding.
2) The Tosh. has optional DVI-upgradeability.
3) The Keohi article used Panny as the example of *good* acuracy for 480p vs the Tosh. 540p upconversion, however, this same article says that the issue is much better on the 2002 models over 2001 and suggests this ought not be the deciding factor in whether to buy the set.

I'm seriously leaning toward the Tosh for the above reasons and the popular stretch modes.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks