Sorry--stupid newbie question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Keep, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Phil Keep

Phil Keep Stunt Coordinator

I am not so new to HT, but am considering my first DIy--starting with a sub...but where do I start....where to shop, where to research,etc...any help is appreciated...also, something like this could maybe be pasted at the top of this page, as I am sure this gets asked a decent amount.
    Thanks,
    Philip

2. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Phil,

Do some looking around here on the DIY section. You'll find many with similar questions that will give you some basic knowledge.

Then, for specific help, you'll need to provide some information:

1.) Budget? also Tool/Skill constraints?
    2.) Size constraints?
    3.) Performance wants/needs?

Some of these may or may not line up. Like, if you want a tiny sub (2-3 Sq. ft.) with reference sub-20Hz performance for less than $200, it ain't gonna happen, especially if you don't have any tools and those would have to be included in your budget.

If you choose any two of those listed above, then you've got possibilities.

Tiny sub with great performance, but money's not an object, no problems.

Great performing sub on a budget, but size isn't an issue: there are possibilities here.

Size and money constraints: Performance will suffer.

You get the idea. DIY is a never-ending series of trade-offs.

Give some idea of your goals and there are plenty here that will be able to give some good advice.

JKS

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Since you

4. Phil Keep

Dan--the more I thought about it and the more I saw people starting with subs, the more I began to think maybe just maybe I could do it...honestly just want to see what all goes into before I consider it as a real option...if it is just buying stuff, glueing some wood and screwing a few things together, it may not be as big of a deal as I thought.
    Sorry for confusion on separate posts.

5. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

If you are sticking the subwoofer in the trunk of your car then your asscesment of " buying stuff, glueing some wood and screwing a few things together" may be somewhat valid...but you are also introducing a piece of furniture into your home, so you must also be prepared to make it look nice. here is a link to the subwoofer and center channel I built...took a good weekend and it sounds fine.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...l#THESUBWOOFER

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

7. Phil Keep

ok, guys looked around a bit...hear is my idea and tell me whether it sounds doable or not...I basically want to build a sub that is ridiculous...less than 36" tall and budget is $5000 for total speaker system...what % is the sub is up for discussion...but probably in the $800 range. One thing I noticed was that a lot of these people cut the wood themselves. I have an electric drill/screwdriver and thats about it..plus obvious wrenches and hammers and stuff like that. I dont have any of the saws. If you guys have any other questions, I will try to answer them. I also have a girl that works at lowe's that likes me, so some tools that they have are fairly available.

8. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

five finger discount

yeah when i built my sub, i never would have done it with out the help of my freinds dad, he has every thing,
    table saw (ripping 4X8 sheet of MDF isn't fun but worked)

shaper (buscuits)

joiner (to get the bracing perfectly flat)

router (the 15 inch hole for my tempest)

lathe (don't ask but made a 6" jig for the flared ports"

drill press sink in the T nuts

and many metal working equipment that i didn't use.

Those were the big ones, but also used a counter sink drill bit and a Yankee Screw Driver to put in all of the screws used in putting this beast together about 100 plus, it came in very handy, if you have never tried one you don't know what you are missing.

9. Phil Keep

ok, another quick question...someone emailed me yesterday about building a box, he is building one and his wood guy said he could build a second cheaply. He is doing an adire alignment tempest...i would probably just do the same...what should I expect if i were to do this? Also is the tempest the way I would like to go?
    Thanks for all the help,
    Philip