What's new

Sorry. One more thread about stereo setup. Big or Small? (1 Viewer)

KellyR

Agent
As I have stated in earlier threads, I just started my HT and I only have two speakers (Klipsch SB2) for now. When I set them up on my receiver, they should be set up as big, right? I don't have a subwoofer so I guess they will have to pull their weight with the bass. Also, one side (the right) sounds louder and clearer than the left. Is this how the music is recorded (Hotel California, for example) or is there some other setting I need to play with (fader)? Speaking of fader, is the middle setting on systems supposed to split it evenly or is that not always the case with different receivers? Thanks.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Set to small 80hz, buy a sub. And buy a sound pressure meter. Calibrate all (bar sub) to 75dB, sub to 72dB.

Setting to large will re-direct full range (down to 20hz) to the mains. They are not not capable of full range sound.

Buy a sub asap/:D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First off, I agree with John about the 80 hz crossover setting. You won't hear much of a difference in bass and your fronts will survive the trip until you can afford a sub. As for the right side sounding louder, Check the balance control. The fader (if you even have one ) is for the front to rear volumn control. The middle setting should split equally. I have the same problem, sort of. The left side sounds louder but that's because my right ear is less sensitive, or more damaged, than my left. Should have listened to my parents (turn that damned thing down!!). Gene

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Also, unless your room is perfectly symmetrical (including furniture), your balance may not be perfectly centered. That's the reason for the balance control. The SPL meter will help, or just play a well recorded vocal track and have someone adjust your balance while you sit in the sweet spot. When the vocal is centered to your ears, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks