Sorry, Im an idoit, can someone explain XBlive to me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattSG, Nov 7, 2002.

1. MattSG

MattSG Agent

I hear so much about XBlive that im beginning to think I need it. But I have a few questions first... When is it available? What all does it come with? What are all of the fees? What do I have to do to install it? Does it work on just the phone line or do I need to run it though my DSL?

Thanks

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

3. MattSG

MattSG Agent

Thanks a bunch!
    Hmmm, thats gonna cause some problems... my computer w/ DSL is downstairs and the tv im playing on is upstairs. How is everyone else combatting this situation? Theres no way to move the computer... looks like the tv is gonna have to migrate down. [​IMG]

4. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that futurevoid will be one name I throw onto my gamers list.

That was one of the best responses to a thread that I've seen in a long time.

Kudos.

Glen

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

You can either go with a wired solution, running cat5 from a Cable/DSL sharing router or you can get a Cable/DSL sharing router that is also wireless and a ethernet to wireless bridge. Visit www.linksys.com to get some more info.

6. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

7. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

8. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Thats ok Aaron, Kelley typed his before I typed mine as well. Damn my slow typing skills!

9. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

10. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

11. MattSG

MattSG Agent

Hmmm, I see all these people spend 200+ on wireless and other stuff and was just wondering why you wouldnt just get a 2nd DSL and use it upstairs? Wouldnt it cost less and then you wouldnt have to worry about wireless lag or 100 foot cords?

12. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

There is no lag to speak of on wireless networks, I've run wireless networks in my home for over a year. I hopefully will be getting a wireless bridge soon, so I can have my PC and Xbox on the network at the same time... currently my PC is off while I'm Xbox Live beta testing [​IMG].

13. Michael St. Clair

For most people a 'second DSL' would cost them another $30-$50 a month. Some savings! [​IMG]

14. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

To elaborate on what Michael said, "MattSG" may have meant get a second DSL modem to plug into the phone network, but as Michael inferred, I don't think any ISP's will allow you to do that (not even sure if it would work). Just like you couldn't just attach a hub to your modem, since they typically don't support multiple MAC addresses.

If you've got basement access and are handy with a drill and drywall saw, you can buy 500 ft of CAT-5 at HD for $35! You can also pick up connectors and wall plates for about another $20-30. Let me know if you're interested in some part numbers.

Otherwise, the only way to go is wireless. Very flexible solution, but still pretty pricey.

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

16. MattSG

MattSG Agent

Hmm... I guess Im not clear on something. You have to connect to your ISP? So if you didnt have a computer, you couldnt use XBlive? Lets say ur xbox is right next to your computer, can u just have your computer connect to the internet, and then unplug the cat5 from ur comp and plug it into the xbox and everything will work fine?

17. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Is there such a thing as an a-b switchbox for cat-5 cable? I'm no computer expert and the router sounds, well, complicated.I can't imagine that I''d ever need to use the computer and XBL at the same time so a switchbox would be perfect. I'd just have to run a cable from the library thru the attic to my home theater and I'd be set.

18. Michael St. Clair

With many ISPs, the 'switch' technique will likely work. Unless the router (the 'DSL modem' they give you) is programmed to reset the connection on the client dropping, or if the phone company maps to a single MAC address on your end....unlikely. Will likely work with most ISPs.

19. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

You should check your broadband modem. I'm pretty sure many of them will do DHCP (automatically dole out private IP adresses to computers in your house) and if so you can get a 5 port hub which is really an automatic A-B switch (well, A-B-C-D-E and they all work at the same time) for like 25 bucks now. If not, routers are getting pretty cheap as well these days (under $75)

20. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

got one at frys for 30 bucks.. 5 ports..