What's new

Sorry if this is redundant, but A.I. was available ONLY full-screen at Wal-Mart! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
With a release of this magnitude, you would think Wal-Mart would carry both editions, but no - they are catering ONLY to the J6P crowd, and that pisses me off. Now I'll have to order on line.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
This is why I always pre-order dual releases like this online. I know that many stores will only get in the full frame editions and I don't have the time or patience to run from store to store looking for widescreen.

It's nice knowing the disc will be in my mailbox when I get home from work.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Who would have thought? For the first time since last fall, my Circuit City has received waaaaayyy more Widescreen than Full-Frame editions! WOOHOO!

Jimmy M

Second Unit
My Blockbuster here had about 45 copies for sale, all of which were widescreen. Also, all their rental copies looked like they were widescreen!

Jimmy!

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I bought my copy at Wal-Mart today....WIDESCREEN for $23.98 Canadian

In fact, they only had widescreen versions in stock, or perhaps all the P&S versions had sold out before I got there.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Hahaha....I bought the last widescreen copy at Wal-Mart. But there were a lot of those crappy Full Screen editions! :angry:

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
My local Wal Mart had A.I. in WIDESCREEN for $16.88 :b
Too bad I had just purchased it at Best Buy a few minutes before visiting Wal Mart :frowning:
Looked like more Widescreen copies had been sold....at Best Buy and at Wal Mart.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The local FRED MEYER, a similar type operation had on the order of 40 copies WIDESCREEN in the store and TWO 'Full-Frame'!

On top of that, AI was an 'unadvertised (?) special' @ $19.99-tho I saw that price in their Sunday flyer-which also had a $3 off any DVD coupon. Total/tax: $18.50

Rob T

Screenwriter
In fact, they only had widescreen versions in stock, or perhaps all the P&S versions had sold out before I got there.
I barely ever see MARed DVDs at my local Wal-mart. I think the Wal-marts up here stock differently than the Wal-marts in the US. :)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Target had both.

On the "Full Frame" version (this term is inappropriate if the video is truly Pan and Scan), the warning about the film having been modified to fit your screen was VERY small and easy to miss.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
My local Suncoast said the OAR was outselling FF by 10:1. To make things more interesting, I talked two people out of buying the Full Frame one while I was there picking up my movies. WHEE!!!! :D

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Guelph, Canada (approximately an hour away from Toronto), and do the majority of my DVD shopping at the one large mall in the city (no futureshop or walmart here....but don't get me started on that.....)
Anyway, I always price check each store that sells DVDs for the lowest price before buying. This mall has an HMV, MusicWorld, and Cinema1 (a video only store....and the best selection in the mall).
WIDESCREEN A.I. was the ONLY CHOICE in ALL THREE STORES!
Perhaps Canada is a little quicker jumping on the widescreen bandwagon.
(Or perhaps, maybe there's a bunch of HTF people in charge of purchasing up here, who've decided not to even give J6P a choice.....YEAH! :D )

Kami

Screenwriter
I'm Canadian and every store I went to had all widescreen, except for a few exceptions such as one Music World where it seems to be 80% OAR, 20% P&S. However, at the one wal-mart near me I could only find the P&S version. On my way out I pointed out to the manager of the entertainment dept. that they'd be getting no more of my business until they started carrying OAR releases. I doubt it did much though considering the blank stare he gave me.

I would've preferred to buy at wal-mart though since it was a couple dollars cheaper than anywhere else, but no oar = no sale.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Quite promising news all around for OAR. However, I'd fully expect sales from the first couple of days to skew heavily in favor of OAR since those that will run right out and buy a film on the day of release are either film buffs, HT enthusiasts, or both. And those groups will likely always buy OAR. The butchered versions will fly off the shelves this weekend when J6P takes the clan out for their weekly shopping. ;)

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
For what it's worth, the Wal*Mart here in the Nitro Shopping Center has/had an ample stock of both and the price was 19.95 (or there 'bouts). The good thing about that particular Wally World is that they keep and EXCELLENT selection of DVDs most all of the time. I've found stuff there that I never thought I would see anywhere but on-line. That being said, there are still plenty of releases that I can ONLY find on-line and that is slowly becoming a problem. West Virginia is now considering an Internet Sales Tax and when you factor that in with the shipping, then while the 'net now OCCASIONALLY beats the local prices...that will completely cease!
Boy, don't you yearn for the old days?!?!?!?!

Steve Owen

Second Unit
A quick look at Amazon's top selling DVDs shows the Widscreen version of A.I. at #2 (behind the Harry Potter pre-order... also widescreen. Here's some interesting tidbits from the list

#1: Harry Potter (pre-order) - Widescreen / OAR

#2: A.I. - Widescreen / OAR

#14: Harry Potter (pre-order) - Pan 'n Scan

#33: Oceans 11 (pre-order) - Widescreen / OAR

#96: Oceans 11 (pre-order) - Pan 'n Scan

A.I. Pan 'n Scan isn't even in the top 100.

That's all VERY good news and shows just how short sighted places like Wal-Mart really are!

I was in Border's the other day and wanted to pick up Princess Diaries for my wife, but all they had was about 40 copies of the pan 'n scan version... no OAR to be found. That means one of two things... that they HAD the OAR version and sold out of it, or that they don't carry it.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread