What's new

Sorry, can someone help me in making a custom system? (1 Viewer)

SamuelW

Auditioning
ok, I want a build a 7.1 setup.

I plan on using the Pioneer VSX-D811S reciever, unless anyone has negative comments about them?

How do I know which speakers to get for the setup?
I have to get 1 center, 6 side speakers, and a sub right?
Is there any difference in the side speakers?
Are the 6 speakers suppose to be 2 front, 2 mids, and 2 rears?

Any recommendations on the speakers? My prefrence is crisp sounds. TIA.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Sam. Welcome to HTF!

Yes, a 7.1 system is 7 speakers and a sub.

Ideally, all the speakers (not sub) should come from the same mfg so when sounds move around they dont change tone bouncing to different speakers. So look for bookshelf/monitor style speakers that you can buy in odd numbers.

What Speakers: Well, this is like asking whats the best brand of chocolate ice cream or beer. Speakers are about taste. You cannot really line them up in a better->worse row. The best advice I can give is for you to take a favorite CD or two and go out and audition speakers. Take notes, NEVER buy during the first audition, and go back a week later and re-listen. Then buy the speakers that impress you on both trips.

High Def Input: Many people run video signals through their receiver so when they switch from DVD to XBox to Sat receiver, the audio and video all switch at the same time.

But just because a receiver has component video inputs (3 RCA jacks) does not mean the internal circuits were designed for High Definition video signals.

Look at it this way:

Component video goes up to 4 Mhz
Progressive Video goes up to 13 Mhz
1080 High Def video goes up to 35 Mhz

So if you plan to run a Progressive Scan DVD player to a HDTV, you might want to make sure your receiver has High Def compatible video switching.

Hope this helps.

SamuelW

Auditioning
That was really good help. Thanks. Last quesiton, a matter of opinion, would you prefer a Marantz SR7300 or a Pioneer VSX-D811S? As in features and so forth. Describe the texture in sound as well please. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks