What's new

Sorry, but what does IBTL mean? (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I have never understood the mentality of posting a reply that consists of nothing more then "IBTL".

Certainly there are times when a thread is willingly started against the forum rules and there are also times when a thread falls into that questionable gray area as to whether or not it is a violation (that's why there are moderators), but to justify the juvenile "IBTL" reply by arguing it is done out of frustration is silly.

Simply ignore the thread, move on and let the Moderators do their job.

Edit: Corrected word usage error.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
and there are also times when a thread falls into that questionable gray area as to weather or not it is a violation
Some of those are usually preceded by: "I know this will probably get closed down, but..." :D

or

"I don't want to start any controversy here, but..."

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
What about if someone says IBTL after making a (usually short) comment relevant to the topic?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The forum rules state that you shouldn't reply to people who post inappropriate material, so why would replying with IBTL be any less appropriate?
Because the rule against replying to such topics is there to prevent people from arguing about the contents of the topic. That is the whole point of ruling certain topics off limits - to prevent acrimonious threads about controversial subjects, anger, hurt feelings, etc. Merely pointing out that something is an inappropriate topic is not the same thing, and is certainly not what the spirit of the rule was trying to prevent, even if the letter of the rule would seem to apply.

Regards,

Joe

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Merely pointing out that something is an inappropriate topic is not the same thing
But replying to the topic bumps it back to the top where more people are going to see it. Not responding would be the best thing to do so it quickly disappears off the 1st page.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Classic case of making a big deal out of nothing. Really it's just harmless fun... Jeeezas!

--
Holadem

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
my thoughts exactly..
:rolleyes::eek:
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Classic case of making a big deal out of nothing. Really it's just harmless funs....
Of course it is harmless to reply with only “IBTL” and nothing more but it still is pathetic and juvenile and it speaks volumes about the individual who would even bother with such a reply.

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's pathetic and juvenile for you to post that statement also, This whole thread is useless, but it has been fun to read. Sometimes just having fun is what it's all about. I see a lot of peoples posts on this forum that need to lighten up. Life's too short for trivial bickering.

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
LOL, I had to go back and re-read this thread to see how it got to this point.. I couldn't remember if Kevin ever got an answer to his question or not. I don't blame him for never responding after his initial question. geezze. It is quite funny though. All he wanted to know was what "IBTL" stood for. I kept up with the thread because I wanted to know also. but I'm glad I didn't ask. :laugh:

Kevin P

Screenwriter
LOL, I had to go back and re-read this thread to see how it got to this point.. I couldn't remember if Kevin ever got an answer to his question or not.
It was pretty well answered in the first 5 or 6 posts in this thread. Not to mention in several other threads I've stumbled into over the past few months.

Ironically, I don't know what "IBACPR" means. Do I dare start a thread to ask? Nah, better not. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks