What's new

Sorry, but need help really soon... (1 Viewer)

Britt_S

Auditioning
Sorry for the generic question, but I really do need some quick advice.
My parents are looking for a new television, and have asked me to help narrow down their selections. Currently, they are looking at:
Mitsubishi WS55807 -- its along the lines of a 50" widescreen HDTV...$2500 at sears or ovation.
Sony KP-53HS10 -- 53" HD rear projection, etc etc.
Anyway, do any of you have any recommendations about good HD or even non HD televisions. I think their top budget is along the lines of 2500, but they could probably budge a little bit.
Thanks in advance for the opinions guys, I really don't know too much about the television scene, and your help will be great.

TomH

Second Unit
If they want to buy at Sears be sure to search the net for the best price and print. Sears will price match.
Tom

James Peench

Auditioning
My wife and I purchased a Mitsubishi WS 55857. It was sitting side by side with the Sony, and the 55807.
Here's how we narrowed it down. The Sony looked very out of focus and the edges of everything were a bit soft. Given that it was a retail store, it could have been just horrible adjustments. So I edged Sony out - for this reason and for cost.
Then I looked at the 55807 and the 55857 side by side. They each had an endless HD loop running so I could see any differences. The 807 seemed to have a problem keeping the lines straight at the edge of the screen (i.e. they would curve out a bit), whereas the 857 had a pretty tight picture and was very sharp (compared to the Sony).
So we then looked at the diamond and could not visibly see any difference between that one that the 857. So we saved the extra few hundred bucks and went with the 857.
There's my $ .02... Bottom line is compare the ones that you have narrowed it down to. Every set can be tweaked a bit to get a better picture once you have it at home so go w/ the features you want and what "looks" good on the showroom floor. Chances are if it looks good there, once you get it home and adjust it properly, it will look great!
------------------
[Edited last by James Peench on July 19, 2001 at 02:40 PM]

EddieN

Agent
Check out the Thoshiba H80 line of 16x9 RPTV's .. I think dealers are unloading them because Toshiba is releasing the new ones soon. I've seen posts on some deal sites where the 65 inch (65H80) can be had for 2500 shipped. What are your folks going to be viewing the most, DVD, Sat, Cable ?
------------------
- Eddie

Britt_S

Auditioning
This TV will be used mostly for DVDs. The only reason of the urgency is that they are looking to purchase it very soon, probably in the next week.
Again, thanks for the help...any more suggestions are welcome.
Britt

EddieN

Agent
Well Then, if they're going to be mostly watching DVD's go for the 65H80, check out Best Buy they might have a good deal or check your local dealer. I'm kinda biased I have the 40H80 and love it. Also look in the Tv and Projecters Area for info on the Toshiba H80 line, lots of posts in there.
------------------
- Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks