sorry another ticketmaster concert addtional fees rant

Discussion in 'Music' started by TonyD, Jan 14, 2006.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    well i was going to buy tix for billy joel for our son and his friend, then i saw the charges.

Tickets (Billy Joel)
    FULL PRICE US $75.00 x 2
    Total Building Facility Charge(s)US $2.00 x 2
    Total Convenience Charge(s)US $9.50 x 2

Order Processing Charge(s) US $3.10
    Standard MailNo Charge

TOTAL CHARGES US $176.10

a total convenience charge ?
    a building facility charge ?
    a order processing chaRGE ?

what is going on here?

these seats are in the top level almost back row on the side of the building.

wow it's been along time since i bought tix online.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    so it's $26 more than you anticipated. not that much more money. still, it sucks.

CJ

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

By purchasing the tickets you just told ticketmaster that you accept their ridiculous charges.

In my opinion $175 dollars for 2 tickets to a concert is unacceptable (with or without the unjustified service charges tacked on).

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i know it's not much more, just venting, is all.

i didnt buy the tix from ticketmaster after i saw the extra fees.

while i was out today i stopped by the Center in south philly and bought them there for face value, except they still charge the extra $2 a ticket.
    Total Building Facility Charge(s)US $2.00 x 2

i was able to get seats very close to the stage.
    odd they didnt show up online.

5. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I buy most of my tickets at the venue. You save a lot money by not being charged those Ticketmaster fees.

The last time I purchased tickets online was for the Simon and Garfunkle shows. Just because I knew the demand for the tickets, i was willing to pay that extra money to get great seats and to guarentee that I do get seats.

Paul

6. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I empathize with you.

As long as we are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for concert seats we really want, ticketmaster will gouge with extra fees and scalpers will efficiently buy out the best tickets (to the best shows) and jack up prices into the stratosphere. I really don't see this ever changing. Too much money is being made.

Some acts have tried to circumvent this process, but they were accused of things like arrogance, incompetence, and communism.

Thank goodness for concert DVDs, large displays and surround sound!

7. Greg.G

Greg.G Stunt Coordinator

Someone should have declared them a monopoly long ago and blew them into little bits. Ticketmaster is no better than the scalpers who inflate prices without providing any value added service. All service fees should be built into the ticket just like going to the movies, NHRA races, etc. Even if they do allow you the convienence of buying ticks at different locations the cost to them can't be more than a buck or two per transaction, not per ticket.

8. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

It's not just the cost of your transaction that you are paying for. You are also paying for the Ticketmaster infrastructure, including employee salaries and the website itself. For prime seats at a concert, I consider the Ticketmaster service worth it to avoid the campouts of the old days.

The option still exists to go to the box office and purchase tickets, where the only extra charge is perhaps the building charge. Ticketmaster is merely providing another way of doing things, and you do not have to use them.

9. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I don't mind Ticketmaster, individual sellers or even gray-market ticket centers jacking up prices and taking advantage of our fine free-market system; I just want the OPTION to save $500, even if it means putting myself through a lot of misery and camping out and getting a cold (or whatever). But since all the best tickets to big acts are bought out (essentially) before the first tickets are even made available to the public, that option is not even available to me most of the time.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

For all of the big acts that I want to see, I've joined the (often-free but sometimes it's a small fee) official fan club. They often reserve good seats and charge a reasonable shipping +handling fee, and that's it.

Granted it's not always an option, but definitely explore it for any bands you want to see.

11. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I've been buying my tickets recently at the venue at well. I think the fees have gotten out of hand.

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

In defense of TM: ever try to buy tickets from someone else? I'm sure other ticketing systems work fine when the demand is low, but if you try to access them right when tickets go onsale, it can be a nightmare.

Case in point: I just tried to get tickets for a Sheryl Crow show at Old Dominion U. They sell tickets through their own site - no TM. It was a nightmare! Repeated system crashes and drags before I finally was able to get something.

If this'd been TM, it would've gone much more smoothly...