Sorry. Another sub placement question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Ellis, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Dennis Ellis

Dennis Ellis Stunt Coordinator

THinking of getting the JBL nsp1 speaker package along with the sony sm4o subwoofer. The room this is going is is not quite perfect so I thought I would seek advice with speaker placement.
    First of all, the sub.
    Looking at the poor drawing I did, where is the ideal placement of the sub? How will it sound if placed to the immediate right of the tv near the fireplace? Since the Sony is a larger sub, what if part of it rests on the tile floor near the fireplace (maybe 2-4 inches)?
    The only other option would be to run the wire for the sub all the way back to beside the couch. Is that even possible?
    As far as the fronts/rears are concerned, it is preferable to get speaker stands. Of course, depending upon the above sub woofer question, a stand with an extremely small footprint would be helpful.
    Also, is there a site that gives detailed instructions on running speaker wire under the edge of carpet? I have no clue as to how to pull the carpet up around the tile at the fireplace or at the large opening leading into the kitchen.
    Thanks and I hope I attach this pic correctly.
    Dennis
    [​IMG]

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Since sub placement is very difficult to get right on paper, try this :

Put the sub in the favorite listening spot and play some consistent bassy music that you are familiar with.

Crawl around the wall of the room and take a mental note of where the best bass comes across. Don't worry about the level matching anything, just listen for what sounds 'best'.

When you find it, that's the spot.

Otherwise, plop it where ever you can and listen for a week, then move it, go another week, etc until you are happy. Then start ripping carpet!

Try to keep it on one surface, but it REALLY won't matter.

Good Luck!

3. Dennis Ellis

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have a similar take on this? Anyone have something else to add?
    BTW this will be hooked up to an onkyo 575x. Is this setup all aorund good for music and dvd/tv?

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Dennis are you opposed to running your wire's under the floor in the crawl space?

5. Dennis Ellis