What's new

'Sopranos' star: HBO breached my contract (1 Viewer)

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
It’s David Duchovny all over again. And we know what’s happened to him after the X-Files…

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just greed I think. Gandolfini is recently divorced, and God knows how much that cost him. I think I read about some other financial woes that have involved him as well. I think this is pretty unprofessional of him. Now filming for the next season has been indefinately delayed which is putting 300 cast/crew members in limbo as well. If this does not get settled soon, many will likely jump ship. Remember that HBO offered him an extra $200,000 (significantly more that 95% of the nation makes in years) per episode even though they were not contractually obligated to do so. With that and 13 episodes he would be making 7.8 Million a season. Even after taxes and such, he's not starving, plus he's doing movies as well. He signed a contract it is unprofessional for him to hold the show for ransom like this.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
According to the New York Daily News Gandolfini is asking for a lot more than $750K per episode:

A source close to the contract negotiations told The News yesterday that Gandolfini, who plays mob boss Tony Soprano, is asking for $25 million to film the show's next 13 episodes.
That's more than $1.9 million per episode that he's asking. To me that's extorsion. Even $1 million per would be too much. An actor on a cable network show can't command the same money than a broadcast network show. It's ridiculous. He should take the $800K and run. None of the other actors on the show makes even $100K per episode. HBO would be crazy to give in to his demands. He is a "greedy pig" (as HBO called him) and they should sue the crap out of him.

todd stone

Screenwriter
HBO delays ‘Sopranos’ production

March 13 — HBO has informed the people involved in the production of “The Sopranos” that they will not be going back to work on March 24. That was the day production was to begin on the mob drama’s fifth season. In a letter sent out yesterday, the network informs crew and cast that production had been postponed indefinitely, an HBO insider said.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/884690.asp?0cv=CB10

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
From the MSNBC article...

"HBO said it had signed Gandolfini to do a fifth and sixth season, though he is also challenging whether the network can hold him to a sixth season."

SIXTH SEASON? I hadn't heard they were planning that. Hmmm, I wonder how much this is going to effect the story arc. I assume that's why not too much happened plot-wise in the last season.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
perhaps they (producers/writers/HBO) could try a storyline where Tony gets charged with some serious stuff which he doesn't think he'll beat, so Tony goes "on the lam", gets some major plastic surgery -- thereby allowing a change of actor -- and returns in a new guise and resumes control of his family?

almost sounds like 'Allo 'Allo and all that nonsense about Rene's twin brother... :D

just a thought. :D

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I can't imagine the show without him.

I think HBO needs to think about that, because that's how most people would feel.

I hope they both come to a compramise. This is one of my favorite television shows.

I think in the end, he will probably get a nice ammount of money, considering the others only get around 80K an episode.

But if he doesn't come back, I think they should end on a good note, not try to drag it out. None of the current characters can be the main character, and make it the Sopranos like James has.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
That's a stupid thought. It'll also remind of that pathetic attempt to continue Sliders by changing the main character's look because the actor left.
Better would be if he was just locked up, then make 8 eps without him to wrap it up.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Not that I would want it to happen, but if it came to Sopranos w/o Gandolfini or no Sopranos at all, it should be possible to continue, e.g.

Digitally insert Tony in the 1st episode as did was done with Tony's mother in the 2nd episode of the 3rd season, then have him whacked--by Furio. Don't let Carmella know, let her and Furio get together, let the darkness consume Furio, let the kids dislike him as a father as well, etc.

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
I would be displeased if there was a sopranos without Tony. I like the other characters, but Tony makes the show.

I heard something today that makes me feel a little better. Can anyone confirm that Tony is really spearheading a pay raise for the entire cast. I was watching Fox News and only caught bits an pieces about this story. It seems that even though he wants more (~1 mil?) he is really acting as a driving force to get more for the entire cast.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It seems that even though he wants more (~1 mil?) he is really acting as a driving force to get more for the entire cast.
If true, I think it's a late development intended to save face on his part. Up until now, he's seemed to have no qualms about tossing hundreds of people out of work with his little tantrum.

Pull the plug, HBO!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't know how HBO can be considered "the bad guy." Gandolfini agreed to a contract and HBO expects him to honor that contract. There is no discussion.

And as for the other cast members being unhappy with their salaries, they shouldn't have signed contracts for those amounts if they weren't happy with them.

Don't agree to something, then turn around and bitch to everyone in sight about how unfair it is. If you didn't like it, you should have left it on the table in the first place and walked away.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
The original news stories said that HBO was contractually obligated to notify Galdolfini by a certain date if his services were required this year. HBO didn't formally notify him (though everyone knew).

I agree a contract is a contract, but James says HBO violated it, not him. According to James, since his previous contract is now null and void, he can now negotiate whatever terms he wants.

Conversely, HBO is saying "OK, since you say the contract is null and void, we have no contract with you and thus can't film you. If you'll sign something saying the the contract IS still valid, we'll go on with the show."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The original news stories said that HBO was contractually obligated to notify Galdolfini by a certain date if his services were required this year. HBO didn't formally notify him (though everyone knew).
His contract said that the option years for acting services must be exercised no later than June 10, or within 10 business days of an order from HBO for production of series episodes for the additional option year (he signed options for a total of 6 years).

Gandolfini's claim is based on a story in the Wall Street Journal on July 17, 2001, which announced an agreement between HBO and Sopranos producers for a fifth season.

Gandolfini claims that his contract should have been executed within 10 days of this article. HBO claims that a random story in a newspaper should not be a trigger for his contract clause and that HBO, not Wall Street Journal, sets the production schedule and makes the official announcement from which Gandolfini's 10-day window would start.

I agree with HBO. Newspapers should hardly be used as the basis for contract negotiations. When HBO announces the new season will be filmed, then the 10-day clock starts ticking. But not because of some blurb in a newspaper.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Assuming the story is as Malcolm says HBO shouldn't negotiate with Gandolfini. It sounds like the role of Tony Soprano has gone to his head. I'm sure HBO has an official process where they renew the series and within 10 days they exercise the actors option years. This is no different than option years in professional sports. A player can't sue because he read in the local paper that the team signed him if it isn't in writing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

You can read Gandolfini's official complaint here. The info about "10 days notice" and the "Wall Street Journal" is on pages 3-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks