What's new

'Sopranos' star: HBO breached my contract (1 Viewer)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Shoot tony. Forget his wife and kids. Get back to the "Real Family" :)

capt

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Gandolfini isn't going to make 400 large per episode playing any other role and the series will be more valuable to HBO with him on board. The two sides will compromise before season five starts filming.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I say good for him! He knows the series is ending, and that was/is his career's high, so why not stock up on a dozen million in the last season for a rainy day/rest of his life. Don' mess wit Tony! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
In my opinion, James Gandolfini deserves at least US$900,000 per episode because frankly, he is the star most identified with The Sopranos.

Will HBO give it to him? I think in the end they will. :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
bleh. definitely a money-making move. as Carl said, they'll definitely come to some settlement or other, for precisely those reasons.

with respect to Administrator Sun, I'm not convinced that The Sopranos could work without Tony. the whole "hook" of teh show is the life of a mob boss and how he deals with his two "families". without him, how would this work? with Tony dead, Carmela et al get reduced to being peripheral persons from the mob's view , such as Rosie Aprile was when Jackie died, and even then they artificially boosted her presence by having her hook up with Ralphie, and then having her son get involved.

(BTW, I've only watched up to Season 3, so sorry if this op-ed piece is not up to date.)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HBO is counter-suing Gandolfini.
I hope HBO skins him alive.

I wish, just once, that one of these networks would call the bluff of these celebrities.

You're making $400,000 per episode and you want $750,000? Well, how about zero? Production ends today. Clean out your dressing room.

It won't be long before enough of these former no-name actors are out on the street, flat broke, before they decide they really have it pretty good. What if NBC had pulled the plug on "Friends" during their first big salary dispute? All six of them would be back to waiting tables.

Unfortunately, if HBO can make $100M by paying Gandolfini $10M, then it's a pretty good investment.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone see Brad Garrett's acceptance speech at the Actors Guild Award show on Sunday. He said he is auditioning for The Sopranos.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, if HBO can make $100M by paying Gandolfini $10M, then it's a pretty good investment.
Exactly! If they're claiming they'll lose so much without him then he must be worth more than $400k an episode! They just proved it themselves.
I hope they settle, it would suck if this show doesn't end properly.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
gandolfini is the centerpiece of the show. hbo would be crazy to not work something out with him.

i personally don't think the show could survive without him.

John_VI

Second Unit
I've done a lot of reflecting on the just-completed fourth season, and I have to say that (IMHO) it was horrible. The first season was great, but each succeeding season has slipped a little, and in the case of season four, A LOT! If the final season is going to be as poor as the fourth season was, then let Gandolfini try to pay his mortgage with a pink slip. It wouldn't matter to me if they killed it (the show) right now.

Of course, I may change my mind next week!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
James was sporting this bushy beard at the SAG awards, and he said it was for a film he was currently shooting, but would have to shave it off when Sopranos starts shooting again. It would seem that James is pretty confident things will get settled one way or another.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Malcolm on this one. A contract is a contract. If the show's ratings were in the dumps, do you think HBO would dare ask him to lower his salary? Of course not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks