What's new

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I don't think they let him get away. The meet was very early in the morning (6:30, I think). It really is not that important, as had they picked him up, they would have let him go since he was not named in the indictment anyway.

I think Tony is going to be running EVERYTHING next year, including New York (Little Carmine punked out to Sack so easily I don't think anybody will respect him much, regardless of who his father was). I think that is the whole point of the show. They keep raising him higher and higher (from Captain to where he is now, etc). The only thing left is for him to be THE mob boss, if not just in the US, then in the world. In other words, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

On a slightly unrelated topic, do you find yourself rooting for Tony vs. the FBI? I hope the series does not end with his downfall (as everybody speculates). I'd love to see him whack those FBI agents that are after him and live happily ever after. I know that would be showing that crimes pays, etc, etc, but who cares? It's a TV show.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark

Matt Bevelacqua, the kid who was part of Chris' crew who shot him and put him in the hospital. Tony and Pussy killed him, which puts Tony in the rather dangerous situation of having actually done wetwork.
Anyone else get a huge kick out of the chorus of school children singing Hey Mr. Tambourine Man at the school Tony ended up in front of?
Also rather a shame that had Tony held out another few days, he wouldn't have to have killed him. Will Tony think he made the wrong decision, knowing that?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Even though Tony S claimed his IQ was 136, wasn't that Tony B's IQ score?

The FBI has been depicted to be so inept, it's hard to root for the FBI.

Steven Sims

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't think Tony will regret having killed Tony B. Even with the FBI cracking down on JS's crew, Tony would have lost all respect within his own crew if he let what TB did slide. Tony understands that he had to do it if he didn't want open revolt in his own family. It wouldn't be the first time he had to do something he didn't really want to do, but he'll get over it, just like he gets over everything else.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
even if he'd let tony b go, you'd still have phil and the rest of his crew looking to whack him any chance they could. tony b's future was either dead, or forever on the run.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
AJ is slowly becoming his father: an organizer who refuses to get his hands dirty. It won't be long before he throws his morals out the window as well.

I think a more interesting resolution would've been to have Tony shoot Tony B, get Sack's crew over there, and then do something to make them think they had shot him. Then everyone would've been "happy."

I could see both Ade's and Tony B's deaths coming from miles away. IMO, this was a big improvement over season four, but still a little underwhelming.

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
yeah. and i felt like last night's was more "underwhelming" than the week before's. hardly felt like a finale from a show that used to shock us every week.

Steven Sims

Stunt Coordinator
Tony just shot his cousin in cold blood. How can you say he refuses to get his hands dirty? That's, what, the 3rd or 4th time he's taken someone out himself?

Parris

Stunt Coordinator

I believe this is being done on purpose. Chase wants us to see the FBI as inept and bumbling idiots but I firmly believe that by the end of season 6 Tony will have vanquished all his demons and just when everything looks good for him the FBI will rear it's head and Tony will go to jail and we will be left with a hint that Anthony jr. will join the "other" family to keep the cycle going.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Very good episode and a great finale to what was an up and down season. I thought Gandolfini's acting in this episode was some of the best he's done in the five seasons of the show. He's a shoo-in for another Best Actor Emmy. Overall, I'd give this season a B/B- overall as it was brought down a little by 3 really bad episodes(the one with JFK's girlfriend, Carmela's affair with the school counselor and the dream sequence). Overall, though, this year was a big improvement over season 4 and was actually better than season 3. Still nowhere near the first two seasons, but those were so brilliant that it would be almost impossible to top them anyway. Sucks that it's going to be 18 months to 2 years before we get the final season. It's taking the same time to make 10 episodes of this show as it has taken to make Spider-Man 2? :confused:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have to say I found Season 5 to be great. I think it was one of the most satisfying seasons overall since Season 1 or 2. (I found seasons 3 and 4 a little bit of a let down, but still great.) If they can do it like season 5 ten more times next year, it will be amazing.

todd stone

Screenwriter
Question......

wouldn't the FBI get info on tony soprano from Johnnie and his NY crew?

Shouldn't Tony be worried?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

There's probably an un-written rule of not ratting on other crews. Besides, I doubt that Sack or any of his guys would have details on the inner workings of the NJ crew.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Yet not enough to be smart enough to get the hell out of the northeastern US and to distrust your own family.

Of course, I thought Ade would be smart enough to not get in a car with Sil after trying to turn Chrissy.

In addition to stupidity disease, sometimes I think there are way too many accidental injuries and deaths on the show. If you live in the land of the Sopranos, you are definitely going to know a lot of people who suffer non-crime fates in a short period of time, but always convenient for the writers...infarctions on the toilet, kids taking arrows in the neck, parking garage rapes, lawyers having strokes, kitchen fires...the density is way too high to be realistic. But always convenient for the writers.

Still the best season since the second one, though. Seasons three and four had their moments (Pine Barrens, anyone), but were still somewhat lacking to this veteran viewer.

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
In the two weeks prior to watching last night's finale, I went back and watched most of seasons 1-4.

After taking in this massive amount of data :), here are my thoughts on how this series is gonna end.

Chase has set us up time and time again with red herrings (the "impending war" with the NY family, for the most recent example), and Ray Curto is just the latest red herring. Curto is not going to take Tony and his family down. He'll get whacked or have one of those infarqs on the toilet or something.

Furthermore, I don't believe this series is going to end with Tony dead or arrested. Again, that just doesn't strike me as Chase's style.

My prediction for season 6: Tony is going to wind up in some kind of truly impossible situation...and escape. And despite the fact that for the past five seasons Chase has pounded us over the head with Tony's profound ugliness and complete lack of humanity, we'll find ourselves rooting for him. And then Tony will be left to continue to live his life as a mafia boss, condemned to forever toil in the world of shit that is the mafia, condemned to be forever a depressive, murderous waste of a human being, perhaps with his son now at his side. That will be his "reward" for successfully staying on top of his gang.

And I think America is going to be quite upset with that kind of finish, but Chase just loves to defy viewer expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks