What's new

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Wonder if Sack getting busted is foreshadowing the FBI coming down on Tony's family since the birthday boy captain is basically doing the same thing Patrillo did.

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator

Definitely. I had forgotten about that guy (the snitch in Tony's crew) because he was shown so infrequently, but clearly Chase wanted you to come away with that impression. Consider that we see him giving info to an agent (he's been giving way more info than Adrianna ever did) and then we see his birthday party, which was Chase's way of saying "Remember him? Watch this guy."

I didn't even catch the bear allusion when Tony came through his backyard. Great metaphor.

This show continues to be awesome, and I for one don't care that we're not getting a war. If you want that, watch The Godfather or another mob film again. The Sopranos is about the family, as the show constantly makes clear.

I'm certainly curious whether Tony will be taken down by the FBI or his own guys, but I'm also wondering what the deal is with Carmella's spec house, as well as what will happen with Meadow's boyfriend when they get married. And how about AJ? Not only is he a putz, but that party scene showed that he has a bit of his father in him. Will the series end with him taking some kind of role in the crew after his father goes away? Should be interesting.

However it ends, I'm sure The Sopranos will go out with a surprising bang.

Todd.Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Can't argue with how it played out- you knew something was up with all the general stuff from the Rommel tv show to the painting. Gotta love Chris complaining- can't even get down to the pawn shop to sell some jewels. :)

Also when Carm and Tony were talking about Aj and she mentioned the guidance counselor- and that AJ has a new one.

Gotta wonder how it would have played out if Tony gave them TB's location then called TB to let him know they were coming. Say Phil shows up with a couple guys and TB is ready for them- takes them down- what could Sack say? I wasn't too impressed with Phil's approach before he noticed TB was already done. If TB was waiting with a shotgun Phil was dead.

And Bennie what the frick- when you get in the car- lock the door.

I still want to see someboy take Phil down- "it's a start".

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Sack's wife's name in Ginny. Yes, I agree, we could have went 18 months without seeing her again.

While, not quite as good as last week's episode (that seems to be a recurring theme around here. :) ), this was one damn fine episode.

I had no idea about the Feds busting Sack. I should have seen it coming with the tape and all.

Could this be the year that Sopranos finally gets the Best Drama Emmy it clearly deserves? I think so. The West Wing has been up and down all season whereas the Sopranos has been consistently terrific. I smell another Best Actor and Actress trophy for James and Edie. I hope Michael Imperioli gets a nom for Supporting Actor as well as Vincent Curatola. Drea de Matteo should get one as well. I think the Sopranos will set a new record for nominations and wins this fall.

Let the countdown to Season 6 begin!

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Good episode. Nice season finale - tho I also felt a bit underwhelmed by the last couple of minutes. However, I thought Gandolfini was in his prime in this episode, excellent work on his behalf.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
Another great episode. The consensus seems to be that the capper was not as engaging as the previous episode (or 2) and I agree with that. When you consider, however, the no-win situation that is a season finale, I think Chase and co. acquitted themselves rather nicely. If (as was the case) war is averted, those that watch the show for the action (read: the whacking) will be disappointed. Conversely, if a full-fledged war transpires, those who appreciate the family-oriented angles and nuances will cry foul. I don't think people who watch the show for the anomie and violence are missing the point. Let's remember that the show is about two different kinds of families. Bloodshed is commonplace, de rigueur in fact, in the world of the "extended" family.

Considering the prominent role that Silvio played in tonight's episode (as well as in the Adriana affair) left me lamenting the way his character was used this season. He is such a potent and imposing force, all business and as Patrick succinctly put it has a huge set of "brass balls," that I found myself wishing I had seen more of him. A minor quibble, but I think this was the most Tony-centric season yet. Yes , it is his show, but The Sopranos has such a wonderful ensemble cast, that I think the writers should have better availed themselves of the actors at their disposal.

Thanks to David Paymer for pointing out the bear metaphor. I was so engrossed in Tony's escape that I missed the allusion. Sopranos' episodes are like onions.

Steven Sims

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember right, Silvio wasn't on the show much this year because he was busy with his real job, heh. He was touring with Bruce Springsteen for much of the season.

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
Its Benny's own fault he got beat up. He still should have been able to throw the car in reverse.

Great season finale. I understand Tony wanting to ditch the gun, but you know that the feds will find that. (I just wish that someone would find it and use it on AJ) I thought for sure that Johnie Sack had Tony set up when I first saw the look on his face.

Anyone see the Sopranos cast on Letterman the other night?

#1 James Gandolfini - "I just whacked myself!"

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Best ever by Gandolfini in the series IMO. That scene with Sack was chilling.

I loved Tony seeing the painting at Paulie's place. I wonder what he was going to talk to Paulie about anyway? He got so distracted that he forgot.

Uncle Junior is pathetic. He's in such a sad state. And the one time Tony really needs to sit down and talk to someone who really is a peer not an underling and get valuable advice, he realizes that Junior is gone. That conversation was one of the saddest scenes of the season IMO.

I don't think that Tony will have trouble with guilt over Tony B's murder. He knew what he had to do to avert a war, and he did it. There's no way that he could know that the Feds had it in for Sack.

Is Chrissy gonna get Made next year? He deserves it.

Where do the gangsters come from? We've seen a lot of people get wacked over the last few years, but the new characters have come out of jail.

LewB

Screenwriter

Chris is already a 'made' guy. I forget what season it was. I remember Paulie picking him up and taking him to the ceremony. Was very reminiscent of the scene in Goodfellas when the Joe Pesci character got whacked.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator

Christopher was Made a while ago, what, during season 3???

I remember that after Christopher was made, he took over the sports book from Paulie, and came up short, so he and Jackie Jr. knocked off a benefit concert...

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Great cap to a mostly great season. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'd have liked a NY war, but there's no reason there still can't be one next season... a total bloodbath that will see everyone dead or in the hands of the Feds.[/dreaming] OTOH Tony's reconciliation with Sack was a superbly played scene. They're both lonely at the top, with crazy psychotic captains.

He went over to confront Paulie after Silvio told him that some of the older wiseguys were unhappy about the NY situation.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

I thought the same thing, Philip.

The biggest lie told last night: Tony telling Dr. Melfi that AJ had de-emphasized football because he "was concentrating on his academics instead".

Wow, when those guys came over the hill at Johnny Sack's, my first thought was the same as Tony's - "I've been set up". You have to think it's a preview of what happens to the NJ family too, since there's still a snitch in their midst - though Chase will probably give us a curveball and only wants us to think that.

LewB

Screenwriter
Time for my AJ rant:
Notice how when the fight over the $5 party entry fee broke out he did nothing but watch ? His partner is in there taking care of business and he doesn't even help ? He still got his 50% of the gate even though his buddy had to get dirty.
He is a professional sponge, going to be a 'event promoter'? He and Janice ought to go into business together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks