What's new

Sopranos Season 4 Review and Discussion Thread Shows 1-12 (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Sil is the one guy I could never imagine flipping on Tony. I saw Silvio as loyal 'till the end. Paulie, sure, but not Silvio.
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this whole Tony/Silvio thing just the two of them acting together to get Tony more money...without anyone connecting it to Tony?

So far, I'm finding the show to be a bit disappointing. Maybe it was the long wait leading to high expecations, but it has been slow to get going so far.

Kind of looking forward to the Carmella/Furio storyline progressing though. If it will.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
This was an okay episode but not one of the best of the best that the ads had been promoting. It does seem like some of the plot elements are a rehash of ones used earlier. I'll have to wait and see.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Whatever you do, do NOT get AT&T Broadband cable. They made us upgrade to "digital cable" (now there's an oxymoron) this summer in order to keep getting HBO. We did so, almost entirely for The Sopranos.

Tonight - no HBO channel. Tried dozens of times AT&T Broadband's "customer service" - EVERY automated option for "my convenience" led to a busy signal and a disconnect - no matter what I tried, I couldn't get an actual person, or ANY service, automated or otherwise.

No Sopranos for us tonight, no longer an AT&T Broadband cusotmer tomorrow. They've f#%$^&*ed me for the last time ever tonight.

(Admins, move this if you must, but I'd rather Sopranos fans know the hosing AT&T Broadband gave to their N. CA customers tonight, before you put this post where it may belong - frankly, I'm too upset to look through where this should be.)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I found tonights episode very good. I think some argue about the number of flips, etc. but hey, in the real world, that's close to how the mob goes.

I didn't see Silvio flipping on Tony as much as him deciding that Christopher's rise was too fast and setting him up to be clipped wouldn't be a bad thing. I think he's got Tony's back.. but I figured, right after the scene between him and Christopher where Christopher suggested getting wings in his hair to "look like paulie" I figured that went over bad..

Having a friend in the FBI, I can tell you that what happened with Daniele, at least according to him, is basically text book; if you're not getting anywhere, but you have enough to pop someone, you do it. I can see where people wanted this to be a longer storyline, maybe I'm saying I prefer it the way it is.. not everything works out for dramatic effect in the real world, they just are as they are.

The thing with Meadow was the only down part for me; while her exchange with Tony was fantastic, her character seems to be going the wrong way.. I had hoped at that point that she had a chance to try to wring her way into the insides of what goes on in Tony's world.. but we'll see.

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome episode. Ranks among my favorites. Tony and Meadow's scene was HEAVY. I don't think Silvio is flipping on Tony. I think he's watching out for him (and Paulie, for that matter).
Adriana's not bright enough to pull off undercover work. My guess is she'll confide in Chistopher and they'll take their lumps. There is no way Chistopher gets wacked at the end of this season.
NICE PROJECTILES!!!!!!! ( toenails and vomit, mmmm mmmm good :) )

Colin-H

Second Unit
Good takes on the Sil thing. I just get worried. I couldn't bear seeing both Paulie and Silvio having falling outs with Tony. And if Chrissy gets whacked like some of you are predicting, what's left for season five except more of Tony, the family, Melfi, and Elliott?

That reminds me, are we going to see any of Hesh this season? I am a big Hesh fan. I'd like to see more of him. I guess that doesn't work with Tony's "trust only blood" attitude, though.

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
My main question: what time of year is it in Soprano-land? In the beginning of the episode Meadows wearing a bikini to go lay out by the pool. The entire episode almost everyone's wearing coats with steam coming out of their mouths at night. I thought it was supposed to be the end of summer?

I was also really hoping that David Chase's comment that the children would not be the focus of season 4 would be true. So far, we're doing good on AJ but Meadow's still using up minutes of every episode.

Not sure where they're going with the FBI agent. I just hope that the next episode does not once again show Danielle and her husband at home taking care of the kid. Does the husband ever work?

Silvio's sudden attitude is a mystery to me.

Personally, I found the whole episode to be a bit slow. Where's the old magic?

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this whole Tony/Silvio thing just the two of them acting together to get Tony more money...without anyone connecting it to Tony?
That's the thing, it was so ambiguous. If Silvio and Tony were acting together to get Tony more money, they weren't doing it in the interest of the whole esplinade deal. I think the scene between them was Silvio's way of apologizing and smoothing things over.

And if the fiber optic cable job was really a $250million job, then they would have ridiculous amounts of heat coming down on them..

BTW - Did anyone notice last week that in "helping" Uncle Junior out by buying up that property that Tony was trying to swindle him out of some soon to be very valuable real estate.. LOL.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
My main question: what time of year is it in Soprano-land? In the beginning of the episode Meadows wearing a bikini to go lay out by the pool. The entire episode almost everyone's wearing coats with steam coming out of their mouths at night. I thought it was supposed to be the end of summer?
I'm assuming it supposed to be the fall. Just last week here in chi town it was 90. Today it is as cold as winter. That can be easily explained.
The rest of the post has been deleted by an admin for being counter-productive to this thread.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
As far as ther fiber optic cable job being a 250 million job, they meant that the fiber that was taken was taken off the site of a larger project, costing over 250 mil, that because of it's size was a good moneymaker for the Mob and was likely to get more than the normal attention from the cops.
I liked the episode but also had high expectations as well. It does look like Meadow was getting back on track at the very end so it looks like that plot line will be fading.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Only caught part of the episode on HBO West tonight, and was not paying full time attention due to having to perform a lobotomy on the home computer. TiVo got the episode, and I’ll watch it tonight after the kids are in bed…

But, from what I saw:

The whole thing with Janice is a big deal. On the surface, it may look like a replay of Season 2. But, look a little closer. Janice got in with a made guy. It is clear that she wants to be “Married to the Mob”. The last time that happened, she ended up whacking said made guy in the middle of the living room. Only because he was a problem for Tony did she get away with that. Ralph is an earner of the first order. No way would it pass if she takes out another gun and clips Ralph. Sometime down the road, my bet is that Tony will realize that he has become an enabler of Janice’s poor decisions in men by cleaning up after her.

The Carmella / Furio line leads into the “trust no one but blood” credo. Betrayal by Carm is HUGE, and would lead to destabilizing Tony even further. It could be enough to tear the family apart in more ways than one.

Meadow is having a crisis of conscience on more than one level. She did back down the “Mob Boss” (now, that took stones), but it was a mistake of youth to call him that. I just do not see where she is getting so broken up over Jackie Jr. and his demise. She was over with him. But her choice in courses may foreshadow a base change in Meadow. Even second year college students are still kids for the most part. I can see that during Season 5 that Meadow decides to set her father up with that Feds. Talk about betrayal.

Silvio is the LAST person to turn on Tony. They are running some sort of scam, and its reach is still a mystery. Double-crossing Patsy with Christopher may have been some sort of loyalty test covering Christopher’s place in the Crew. It may also be a trial by fire to see if Chris really has what it takes to make it as Tony’s right hand man.

Adriana’s got herself into a fine mess, with no way out. If she does not work with the Feds, then her, the club, Chris & Furio are in deep. The club will be seized with Furio and Chris losing some of their cash flow. Plus I bet the place would not pass an IRS audit. Chris would be expected to cover Furio’s losses since it was Adriana that caused the problem in the first place. Plus having it become common knowledge that Adriana brought a Fed into Tony’s house would not do well for Chris’s standing. And Adriana is not sharp enough to work well as a mole. No matter how you slice it, I just do not see an exit for Adriana that does not include a box. The only way for Chris to save his own butt will be to take care of Adriana himself. And that my not be enough. Will Carm come to the rescue of Chris? And at what price?

And if Chris is out of the picture, who will Tony turn count on? Could he end up deciding to bring AJ into the “business”?

I see that so much of the season will be intertwined that events in one thread will resonate throughout the entire cast.

How much can one mob boss take?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering more if we may see Meadow making a way into the mob.. I'm thinking about it because of the setup that occurred in Italy in Season 3, where Tony met the boss there.. a woman.. just a thought.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Personally, I dont mind seeing Meadow use more screen time ;)
I too was also surprised to see the undercover bit wrap up so quickly, as well as Silvio going against Tony's wishes, but I do trust that the writers know better than us where they are going with the whole plot line.
Now, I am not an expert in how the mob makes money, so I didnt really understand the whole no-show, no-work scam... Does the no-work deal mean they just send some guys to a job, and then they just sit around and get paid for doing nothing? Wouldnt the site foreman have something to say about that, or does he just keep his mouth shut, cause it would be the mob he's dealing with?
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks