Sopranos Season 3... New or Old Version of Season Finale ?!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Sullmeyer, Jun 2, 2002.

1. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

Ok. So I have been re-watching Season 3 of the Sopranos on HBO just to hold me over till they release the Season 3 boxed set on DVD, and I noticed that they reshot and altered the original Season Finale. I couldn't beleive it.

Originally, Fariuza Balk was cast an going to be in Season 4 as undercover FBI Agent Deborah Cicero. She had a brief cameo in the Season 3 finale episode that introduced her character.

Tonight, it seems they recast her role to some blonde woman an acted as if it was always this way. I thought the scene reshot was very obvious and the new actress really didn't do much for me. I was really looking forward to seeing Faruiza in Season 4.

So my question... do you think they will release the box set with the altered ending, and if so, does nayone think they will include the original as an extra? I sure hope so.

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Really? That's weird. I haven't watched the show since the last season ended and I'm sure I'd be completely befuddled as to who this blonde person was (going into Season Four) having thought that Fairuza Balk was going to be the undercover agent. The last episode really set up her character, so this is really bizarre.

3. Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes Second Unit

Just a guess here but maybe Fairuza Balk was not available for filming when it came time to shoot season 4. If they decided to use another actress, then maybe they re-shot the scenes in season 3 for the sake of continuity.

Then again, according to IMDB, Fairuza Balk was also in two episodes from the first season as well. I don't remember seeing her in those episodes but if she is in there, I guess continuity is screwed up anyway.

Either way, I expect that the DVD will include the newly shot version.

This is kind of like what they did in Seinfeld, reshooting scenes with Frank Costanza for syndication when Jerry Stiller took over the role from John Randolph.

4. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

This should be fun to compare, as I've got the original airing of season 3 on VHS.

5. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

i watched Season 3 on HBO and then FORGOT to watch or tape the episode last night!

Every other show HBO shows 600 times a week. Grrrr.

Last week, it wasn't on and it threw me all off schedule. Now I guess I have to wait for the DVD to see how the season ended.

6. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

I think they will be repeating it this week.

7. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

I caught this too right away. I just can't figure out why this happened and I would bet any money the new version will be on the dvd set.