What's new

Sopranos season 2 in DTS? Yes, according to Amazon! (1 Viewer)

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon.com has the November release of the Sopranos season 2 will include DTS. I just was wondering if anyone else saw it or heard about it. God bless America.

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I will be buying season 2. Glad to hear it is in DTS
icon14.gif

------------------
Image9.gif

My DVDs

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Maybe it's just me, but I double checked and nowhere on amazon's page for Sopranos Season 2 is there any mention of DTS sound.
You might want to check again.
Later, Chad
(not that this would effect my definite purchase of this set)

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
I JUST WENT LOOKING FOR IT AND I AM SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION. IT IS NOT AMAZON BUT RATHER WWW.800.COM. Go to that website and it clearly states the November release in DTS. Thanks and sorry.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Does 800.com always get their info right on DVD's? Also, does this show really need to be in DTS?

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
DTS fans think so. Personally, I don't see the big deal with DTS on this one as I am not DTS obsessed.
I am just glad this is one of the few TV shows that are filmed in widescreen. That is more reason to sheer about than DTS.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
According HBO's 2-page ad in Video Store Magazine, the discs will have English Dolby Digital 5.1, English Dolby Surround, Spanish Stereo, and French Stereo audio tracks. There will be no DTS track on this set.
That's a shame, because considering how bad at times the video quality was on the original set, I would prefer that they put some of those language tracks towards the video bit bucket.
- Steve
------------------
gotremo.jpg

Got Remo?

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Then adding a redundant DTS track would scarcely help the video quality. And this is of course true of any DVD release.
------------------
Roger Dressler
Dolby Laboratories

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Then adding a redundant DTS track would scarcely help the video quality. And this is of course true of any DVD release
/sarcasm on
I'm glad you shared your unbiased opinion with us Roger. Some of us don't think its redundant. There are plenty of discs out there with Reference Video and a "redundant DTs" track and you can't deny that for one bit.

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
While Roger's opinion may be biased, what he said is 100% correct. It would be impossible for an additional audio track in DTS to help the image quality.
Remember, the reference video discs with both DTS and DD tend to have less than four hours of video content. If each episode were on its own disc, DTS would not be an issue. With the Sopranos sets, the extra space is needed for video.
Would you prefer a release with VHS quality video and DTS audio? Just something to think about.
------------------
Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
/sarcasm on
I'm glad you shared your unbiased opinion with us Shane, although as pointed out by Dax, Mr. Dressler's statement is perfectly accurate.
Adam

Jim D

Auditioning
If what Roger says is true, and I believe it is, why don't we just dump the Dolby Digital 5.1 track also, and have only a Dolby Digital 1.0 soundtrack, that way we will get the absolute BEST picture quality.
biggrin.gif

Just because a title is only Dolby Digital does not guarantee a better picture. Look at Twister, the DTS/Dolby Digital version looks a lot better than the Dolby Digital only version.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Because The Sopranos was recorded in 5.1 audio.
Look at Twister, the DTS/Dolby Digital version looks a lot better than the Dolby Digital only version.
The Dolby Digital version is one of the earliest DVD titles, so it's no surprise the new version looks better.
Adam

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
Correct me if I'm wrong but nothing is actually recorded in 5.1 audio. As far as I know, all soundtracks are recorded in with multitracks recorders and then a sound designer or engineer mixes the tracks to 5.1, 6.1 or whatever else. Just because it was broadcast in 5.1, doesn't mean that they recorded it that way. I would think that the master tapes have much more than 6 tracks. Just my 2 cents.

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with you Jim... but let's take that idea one step further. How about putting the video on a DVD with the lowest amount of compression that will fit, and then release the audio on a companion SACD. Trying to get the two parts to synch with each other would be a pain, but just think of the quality we'd get! :)
For the ultimate quality presentation, I'd like to invite the cast and crew to tape the new episodes of The Sopranos at my place. Be sure to check the DVDs for deleted scenes featuring me and Meadow...
yum.gif

------------------
Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks