Sopranos question - S3 spoilers

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Holadem, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

In episode 11 or 12 of S3, after Tony breaks up with the Mercedes sales lady, she gets threatened during a test drive by what appears to be one of Tony's minions.

Or is he? Later that episode, the same gentleman is shown getting into his car with a back full of groceries, and driving away. What was the point of that scene? It occured to me that in that chauvinistic universe, shopping for groceries is a woman's task. Was the point of the scene to show the guy as a regular joe, therefore suggesting that the threat was stunt orchestrated by someone else (Dr Melfi?).

I know this sounds extremely contrived for a show like the Sopranos, I just can't help but wonder about the point of the scene I described.

--
    H

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

If I recall correctly the guy who threatens the Mercedes sales lady is indeed one of Tony's minions. I think the point of showing him shopping is that even Tony's thugs/hitmen are regular joes most of the day doing mundane things like grocery shopping and only occasionally threatening mob bosses ex-girlfriends.

3. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

I also recall that the scene was played with the track of Dylan singing "Return To Me." Point being that yes, he's a regular joe who at the end of the day does his menial tasks and goes home to his "normal" wife and family just like other regular joes.

Which really is the whole point of the show, I believe -- that these mob guys are all in essence regular joes who just happen to have non-regular jobs.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I see.

Well, they certainly chose a peculiar moment to yet again make a point which has been driven home for almost 3 season. I mean, we're at the end of S3, the parallels and differences between both families, the delicate balancing acts of their members, the paradoxes at the core of it all etc... have been explored with increasing insight and complexity since the show begun.

At this point, we're well beyond realizing that these fellers are just regular folks...

In a nutshell, that scene like that belongs in S1 rather than S3. It feels like a step backward in this character study of show, which is why I kept wondering if I was missing a more subtle point.

--
    H

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Not if you remember who Patsy is. It's a side of him we've never seen before, whereas if the messenger had been Sil, Paulie or Christopher, we wouldn't be seeing anything new.

M.

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

You left out the coolest part of that scene [​IMG]

--
    H

7. Michael Reuben

I guess you remember him after all. [​IMG]

M.

8. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

I don't think the Parisis were regulars from the beginning, were they, Michael? The first time and only time I recall seeing Philly was in the first episode of S2. Then Patsy turns up for the first time near the end of S2, if I recall correctly, and becomes a recurring character but not a regular in S3.

Anyway, just nitpicking there. But you're spot on with the point of your post, and very well said.

We saw Patsy frequently enough, in any event, that I'm surprised you didn't recognize him in that scene, Holadem. By that time, he was an essential member of the family.

9. Michael Reuben

You're probably right. My memory frequently mixes the events of the first two seasons, probably because those were the two with Livia. We saw a lot more of Junior's crew after Junior was indicted on RICO charges, and that event straddled the two seasons.

M.

10. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Just remembered that we did see Philly one other time, in one of the dream sequences in the S2 finale.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well, I am done with S4. The finale was the best episode yet. Quite long too, well over an hour. Not that I am complaining, I didn't want it to end.

I should have paced myself with this show, S5 is more than a month away, what the heck am I gonna watch? Learning that Steve Buscemi shows up in S5 sure isn't helping.

Strangely enough, my favorite characters were Richie Aprile and Ralph Ceferato (sp?), the most loathsome inviduals in a show full of them. Ritchie left way too soon.

I couldn't stand Chris at the begining of the show, his foray into show business was tedious, but he has dramatically grown on me.

It's hard to pick a favorite season, but S3 is the one I enjoyed the least, due to the focus on the kids, espcially Jackie Aprile.

I've only watched 2 HBO series thus far, Six Feet Under and this. They are both some of the best TV I have ever experienced. At least S3 of SFU is due in mid-may. What other adult dramas in the same vein are worth checking out? [EDIT] I did watch and enjoy some of Sex and the City.

I've got the West Wing S3 disks sitting in my mail box (netflix), as much as I love that show now, it's gonna be hard to return to it's borderline sickening optimism.

Ugh.

--
    H - Waiting for S5...